Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mountain Biking?

Default Mountain Biking?

Does anybody know about the mountain biking scene around the Auckland area? I trying to decide weather I want to bring my bike or sell it...

Here in the US too, but from what I have read over the past couple of months, i am sure you will be advised to bring your own, if it is one you especially like. I would imagine there is a great bike scene around there but again someone else will tell you for sure. I am planning on taking my road bikes-cost a lot out there from what I have gathered so far.

I posted a thread a week ago asking the same question on whether to bring my bike or sell it. http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=34360

Fair bit in Akl itself, or of course you've got about the best MTB in the world down in Rotorua. There's a new forest that has recently been bought outside Tauranga that's over time is getting a massive network or MTB tracks.

The only reason not to bring it is if once you're here then you get a new hobby like sailing that takes all your time.

Are there any mountains around Auckland? You might think about Central Otago perhaps.

Anyway, here a link to the website of New Zealand Mountain Biker magazine:
    http://www.nzmtbr.co.nz/index.php (Their postal address is in Auckland.)

There is a bit of mountainbiking on the outrskirts of Auckland;
    Woodhill (about 40 minutes north west of Auckland)
    Riverhead (half an hour north west of Auckland)
    Whitford (half an hour south east of Auckland)

Here are some good resources regarding mountain biking in NZ:www.tracks.org.nz has information about tons of tracks all over the country; the Auckland tracks are here: http://tracks.org.nz/region/show/13

For more discussion etc. about biking in NZ, check out Vorb (www.vorb.org.nz) - it can be a bit 'freewheeling' and often raunchy if you dive into any threads marked sifting but there are lots of good people on there with much to offer.

Another thing to keep in mind is the plethora of cycle trails proposed or under construction around the country; see http://www.nzcycletrail.com/ for more info on them. The two around me are already underway and many of the others are proceeding as well - they should all be pretty amazing when done.

Thanks for the info everyone. Looks like I will most likely be bringing my bike with.

And don't forget Rotorua has the best mtb trails network in the southern hemisphere (or the world's best accoridng to the Aussie mtb mag).

Talking Yes yes, fabulous mountain biking close to Auckland

Good grief NO, do not sell that bike!!!

Just north of Auckland city there is Woodhill Mountainbike Park in Woodhill forest which is brilliant. This is my preferred place to ride through the wetter months as it's all over old sand dunes and in the summer without rain it can be like trying to ride in sandpit in places! Great trails, really well managed. Some techincal stuff for fun (lots of lovely roots :-) ), gravel trails to bash if you like them, plenty for all abilities and ages and some structures too, though last time I went there they'd taken some of the big stuff down. Also a dirt jump park that they keep making better and better.

Close to there is also Riverhead Forest which is fantastico for developing your tech skills. It's on a clay base so fun fun fun in the wet (I say... I've never ridden it in the wet but know people who do!) and lots of great tech practice in the dry. More great roots to hop over and down, some good uphill grinds with great payoff!

Then there are the weekends you'll be wanting to spend down in Rotorua where the mountain biking is just epic. Beautiful, beautiful scenery, amazing trails, heli-biking, shuttles to the top of the hill. Just brilliant.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast