Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hasn't Christchurch had enough?

Quote Originally Posted by sophiedb View Post
    Today is DD's 4th birthday. Today we were woken up by a 4.4 just after 6.30am. Today DD pretended to be a turtle 3 times (3.9, 4.4, 4.5) at preschool.

Today I'm feeling really depressed about our decision to move to Chch, especially because we acted on that decision in spite of the September earthquake (we arrived last November), because 7 months ago DD had no reason to know what an earthquake was nor why/how to drop into a turtleshell when the ground shifts.

Today I don't actually mind that hubby wants to apply for a job somewhere else in NZ

I might change my mind tomorrow, or next week, but today has just been one of those days that makes me wonder whywhywhywhywhy. This probably wouldn't be the case if it weren't for the 5.7 and 6.3 on Monday.

And we live on the "stable" side of town. The fact that I feel depressed at all makes me ashamed because other families in the eastern and hill suburbs are so much stronger in their willingness to stay put.

(maybe it's the pinot talking... but still...)
    Just go with your gut instinct..it's all right for others to tell you to stick it out, but at the end of the day your safety and sanity come first..I have relatives through my husband and friends who are christchurch natives leaving now as they have finally had enough..

Good luck with whatever you do and I wish you all the best..

Thanks everyone - I am feeling better about things today, despite another 4.4 wake-up call this morning. At least it wasn't 5.4

We've realised that aside from the earthquakes we're lacking in *time* at the moment too - not exactly a unique problem - especially since hubby has just started a new job in the east with long hours and a long, dusty commute. Added tension for him in that there's a large gantry in the workshop next door that rumbles back and forth like an earthquake, and when there is an actual aftershock the place shakes like a leaf. And my work may not be as shaky, but it's certainly manic... city council... non-stop busy busy busy... It's like running a triage ward every day. Either way, escaping the headless chicken act was one of our reasons for coming to NZ and we haven't succeeded as yet.

So, as my current may-as-well-be-full-time job is coming to an end in a couple of months anyway (maternity cover), the new tack is to try and find me a part-time job with fewer hours. The theory is that if I can do the shopping/cleaning type stuff during the week, we shouldn't be running about like headless chickens every weekend *and* trying to find some "me"/relaxation time. Maybe then we'll be able to deal with the aftershocks etc better. Sounds very housewifey of me, but we should be able to afford it and improved sanity is an excellent price tag

We shall see...

Glad your feeling a wee bit better Sophie
    Quote Originally Posted by sophiedb View Post
    Thanks everyone - I am feeling better about things today, despite another 4.4 wake-up call this morning. At least it wasn't 5.4

We've realised that aside from the earthquakes we're lacking in *time* at the moment too - not exactly a unique problem - especially since hubby has just started a new job in the east with long hours and a long, dusty commute. Added tension for him in that there's a large gantry in the workshop next door that rumbles back and forth like an earthquake, and when there is an actual aftershock the place shakes like a leaf. And my work may not be as shaky, but it's certainly manic... city council... non-stop busy busy busy... It's like running a triage ward every day. Either way, escaping the headless chicken act was one of our reasons for coming to NZ and we haven't succeeded as yet.

So, as my current may-as-well-be-full-time job is coming to an end in a couple of months anyway (maternity cover), the new tack is to try and find me a part-time job with fewer hours. The theory is that if I can do the shopping/cleaning type stuff during the week, we shouldn't be running about like headless chickens every weekend *and* trying to find some "me"/relaxation time. Maybe then we'll be able to deal with the aftershocks etc better. Sounds very housewifey of me, but we should be able to afford it and improved sanity is an excellent price tag

We shall see...

All the best for finding yourself some breathing space.

Hope that your plans work out Sophie. I started on the headless chicken act this week as David started full time on Thursday and I already work full time plus. The earthquakes and aftershocks caused a lot of extra stress this week...especially with the added walks we now have.,,,hoping that it won't last for ever.

Does K have "A Squash and a Squeeze" by Julia Donaldson? It reminds me of my life at the moment...I am hoping that as things improve then life will feel manageable again!

Quote Originally Posted by Mamee & Co View Post
    Hope that your plans work out Sophie. I started on the headless chicken act this week as David started full time on Thursday and I already work full time plus. The earthquakes and aftershocks caused a lot of extra stress this week...especially with the added walks we now have.,,,hoping that it won't last for ever.
    It won't last forever *hug* and either way the way you're all dealing with this makes me feel bad for feeling bad Good luck juggling the new household dynamic - especially under the circumstances!!!

Does K have "A Squash and a Squeeze" by Julia Donaldson? It reminds me of my life at the moment...I am hoping that as things improve then life will feel manageable again!
    She doesn't have that one no, I'll have to look it up! I love Julia D's books, she definitely deserves to Children's Laureate

i can so understand your doubts and im not even there ... we were meant to be coming for 6 months from jan 2012 but really begining to re think plans for christchurch not sure i want to put my boys through what chch is experiencing but on the other hand dont want to let people down .... dilemas dilemas ..... just hope the lovely wine is helping just a wee bit helen xx

I sometimes think that having to face it is what makes it easier. Maybe if I hadn't been so directly impacted twice it would be scarier, but we know what we have gone through, know that we have coped and that sort of makes it easier because it is no longer an unknown quantity to us.

I have to admit though that if I had been shovelling liquefaction out of my house for the third time I would most definitely be thinking of moving!

The boys are also older, and able to tell us how they feel about it....which makes it easier as they are coping pretty well (though even they have short tempers at the moment too, so there is a level of stress there). But it is a learning experience and I think that the reslience that they are developing from this will stand them in good stead. Unlike K they do understand what is happening, are able to make choices etc. Their feeling is that they hate EQs and don't want anymore, but love it here (though L reckons that Hamner Springs might be more fun at the moment!!!!) I think if they had been younger then my Mother's Instinct would be telling me to get them out of here.

((((hugs))))) Hopefully catch up soon!

I sometimes think that having to face it is what makes it easier. Maybe if I hadn't been so directly impacted twice it would be scarier, but we know what we have gone through, know that we have coped and that sort of makes it easier because it is no longer an unknown quantity to us.
    Def agree with this - it was quite strange how quickly the new normal reasserted itself after Monday's quakes.

The boys are also older, and able to tell us how they feel about it....which makes it easier as they are coping pretty well (though even they have short tempers at the moment too, so there is a level of stress there).
    Yup, K (and hubby) have short tempers at the moment too - in both cases I think it's a sense of insecurity tbh. At least Rob can understand why, even if he struggles to keep a hold on his frustration and stop biting back when they both get irritable. K hasn't wanted to go to bed in her pyjamas since Monday... we usually compromise with trousers off, then get her into the jimjams when she's fast asleep later on. Tried a bedroom reshuffle today so *fingers crossed*

((((hugs))))) Hopefully catch up soon!
    Indeed

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234