Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Residency through partnership?

Default Residency through partnership?

Hello,

My partner is a NZ resident and Im english. We have been together for over 2 years and now my working holiday visa is running out in august this year. We are going to apply for a defacto visa to get an extension for me which we definitely qualify for.

I was just wondering if anybody knows what you need to qualify for residency off of a partnership?

I need and want to study but I cant afford to do it in NZ unless I am a resident due to the ridiculous international fees.

Any info would be awesome

thanks,

As far as I remember you only need to be with your partner a year. He then sponsors you.

You will need to do medicals and police checks (both of you for the Police certs).
    You also need to supply a whole lot of proof to your partnership - joint bills, tenancy agreements, joint accounts etc over the period of your partnership..

Check this link out, and then follow the other links for there in relation to exactly what is needed..

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...er/default.htm

Quote Originally Posted by mosanna View Post
    My partner is a NZ resident and Im english. We have been together for over 2 years and now my working holiday visa is running out in august this year.
    Partnership generally requires having lived together for 12 months.
    Else follow the links as NAP wrote, both within this forum and of INZ.

Hi there
    Similar situation to me only we applied for residency before arriving in NZ. I'm also British and my husband a kiwi, our daughter has NZ citizenship and i'm also studying
    Pretty much the above answer was how we did it.
    We had to prove that we'd been together for a year so he could sponsor me, joint bank account details/bills/photo's etc. Medical and police checks, it was actually fairly straight forward and took about 5 months (that was through the London branch as we were living in Switzerland at the time of application) i think if done through Wellington it might take a wee bit longer, i guess it depends on the current amount of applications
    HTH

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    Partnership generally requires having lived together for 12 months.
    Yes thats right, sorry lived together for 1 year.

Agree with all the above, except we only sent in one joint bank statement and one bill which satisfied them and we were done and dusted in a few weeks via the London branch.

Default Partnership

As above.
    Hubbys application in at the mo (just received work visa extension today) and he has been told residency app can take up to 9 months is applying thru Hamilton Branch if that helps on timelines etc

Quote Originally Posted by moses View Post
    As above.
    Hubbys application in at the mo (just received work visa extension today) and he has been told residency app can take up to 9 months is applying thru Hamilton Branch if that helps on timelines etc
    I heard same situation for one of my colleague at work.

Hello and welcome.

Partner sponsored residence is one of the more straightforward visas to apply for, but you still will have to be checked out and it will take time. Get that application in as soon as you can.

hey, thanks for all the replies.

But is this definitely residency? As in I can stay indefinitely? I know i can get another work visa off of him for like 2 years and i have to be living with him for a year e.t.c ....so is it exactly the same to claim residency?

It just seems too easy....?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast