Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dry Dog Food from USA...

Default Dry Dog Food from USA...

So I have searched but not found any info on this yet - can we bring sacks of dry dog food in our container? I am worried about trying to switch our dogs food upon arrival as they will already be dealing with stress from the move. Has anyone done this before?

Thanks as always!
    Amy.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

I would email MAF and check but my guess is that, if there's any meat products in them, they won't allow it. I may be wrong though because, thinking about it, we brought in some beef and chicken stock cubes!

Most pet stores here have a good variety of foods available. Also, the things that were in our container had a definite odor like they may have been in a wet environment, probably just a humid hot environment. I would be wary of bringing it in because of the possibility of becoming mouldy. Our container had to be sprayed with something that deemed all of our food stuffs inedible. Just my 2 cents.

What sort of dog food do you use in the US? It could well be that it's available in NZ.

According to MAF, dry dog food CAN be brought in its original sealed package as long as it meets the following guidelines / standard:
    http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/files...tfodic.all.pdf section 7.

I think we have decided not to bother though - the idea of arriving with a bag of potentially soggy dog food (and everything we own being permeated with that aroma!) is not very appealing!

Amy.

Yeah, I'm curious as to what dry dog food you use as well and what brands are comparable. Thanks.

Was about to ask this same question on the forum... so watching the responses to get an idea. Our dogs are on Hills Prescription Dental food... only available through our vet. It's a large, dry kibble specially formulated to clean the teeth as they're prone to periodontal disease and have already had several teeth removed. I'm going to search the internet and see what I can find... but if anyone has seen it in NZ, please let me know.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by AngJones View Post
    Was about to ask this same question on the forum... so watching the responses to get an idea. Our dogs are on Hills Prescription Dental food... only available through our vet. It's a large, dry kibble specially formulated to clean the teeth as they're prone to periodontal disease and have already had several teeth removed. I'm going to search the internet and see what I can find... but if anyone has seen it in NZ, please let me know.
    Thanks.
    Both Hills Science and Hills Prescription are available in NZ. Prescription through a Vet only I think as I've only ever seen it at our vets rather than at our Pet Store.

Webpage here.

You can get most of the range of Hills Prescription and Science diet, Eukanuba, and Royal Canin in NZ.

There are some of the Purina products as well, but not all of them.

We have been using Nutro Natural Choice. A 38.5 pound bag costs me $40 USD. I'm betting dog food will be a lot more expensive in NZ (especially the imported variety!)

Amy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast