Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Migraine medication for Dubai

Default Migraine medication for Dubai

Hiya, i normally take syndol for my migraines and im hoping some other migraine sufferers out there might be able to help me with my query. Codeine is banned in dubai therefore i dont want to risk taking codeine with me for my migraines. Does anyone know any alternatives that might be good that are not banned in dubai? I get migraines with stress, excitement, tension.....not sure if its the doxyamine in the tablets that helps me but im at a loose end with what to try.....thanks for any advice in advance claire

Some advice was give here wasn't it? Perhaps keep to the same thread?

http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....light=migraine

it was suggested by tia maria about starting a new thread about avoiding taking codeine and i was hoping by putting in the title the word migraine that it might get the attention of people who suffer from migraines and someone might suggest alternatives for me

I have tried to delete my post since it looks as though im asking the same things again but im not sure how to so if you can point me in the right direction of how i delete it i will do so, i dont want to cause tension on the forum lol, my tension headaches are enough

;-) Don't worry, just me being confused / grumpy as I thought the question was the same and I was having a Deja Vu 'attack'. You can't delete a thread. I suppose getting a Mod to edit the original post to include migraine in the topic would work, but I suppose it doesn't really matter. I'd not spotted the subtle difference in the title.

Note: I have never been to UAE.

UAE has a crazy list of "banned" drugs. http://www.uaeinteract.com/travel/drug.asp

The message I'm getting is: Don't visit Dubai if you are 1) schizophrenic, 2) depressed, 3) a body builder, 4) suffering from a cold, 4) female and between the ages of 16 and 60, 5) in pain. 6) And seriously, organ transplant medications?

You're really not left with a lot of options for migraines. You could go with plain paracetamol or an NSAID (ibuprofen, naproxen, diclofenac, etc). If they're available in Britain, none of the ingredients of Fioricet (paracetamol, butalbital, caffeine) or Midrin (paracetamol, dichloralphenazone, isometheptene) are on the banned list. Either would be good for the types of headaches you've described. I'm not a huge fan of Fioricet as it is likely to cause a rebound headache when it wears off, but still better than nothing.

Other than that, you could try a triptan (sumatriptan, rizatriptan, etc). These are good for stopping a migraine...not good for preventing. I wouldn't recommend using one for the first time on a plane, as they do carry a risk of cardiovascular problems.

Note #2: These are just random ramblings on the internet. Please consult your doctor, and don't interpet any of it as medical advice.

Or Option #3 - make sure you hit the booze trolley hard as soon as the wheels go up, work hard and then pass out over the med and stay that way until Auckland.

Quote Originally Posted by carteruk1 View Post
    I have tried to delete my post since it looks as though im asking the same things again but im not sure how to so if you can point me in the right direction of how i delete it i will do so, i dont want to cause tension on the forum lol, my tension headaches are enough
    Oh don't worry about old Duncan, he's always getting his knickers in a twist over such things - aren't you Duncan?

Of course now there will be a forum war....

Pass the spliff... Make love not war.

Ahh its no probs, my post was very similar to my first. I have appointment at gp this week to try other migraine meds, we leave on the 31st july so hopefully can get an alternative then, my hubby said i should have a few vodkas on the plane and that should keep them at bay but im thinking more the hangover headache on a plane aint good lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast