Thread: Parent retirement visa

Default Parent retirement visa

has anyone had any experience with this? THis is different to the usual sponsorship of parents after 3 years resident. It's basically another route for parents to come and live in NZ if they have money to invest in NZ.

My parents do and they want to start the process but I've not come accross anyone who has done this visa yet. Anyone have any experience of it?

We have tried to research it as much as possible as we have questions, but I gather it's a fairly new visa and no-one (not even NZIS) seem to be able to asnwer our specific questions.

I'd love to hear from anyone who's done this visa

I haven't seen anyone on the threads here say they've done this, Kalla. It sounds as though your parents will be trail-blazers.

ha ha, thanks JandM, that will inspire confidence in them. Well, I shall post again with our experiences if they do go ahead with it to pave the way for future applicants

In a way, it could be seen as encouraging - if there aren't many people doing it, there will be fewer cases in the queue ahead of them.

Hello Kalla, it will be interesting to follow your parents route. We decided to take the normal course as I didn’t like the restriction on where you had to put your money against other investment opportunities. We’ve just heard from NZIS after our application has been lodged for just 12 months so I don’t think it takes as long as they advise on the website. I hope it goes well for you.

Can't remember where but I remember reading a few months ago that there had only been about 12 applications in this new category! Perhaps its not widely known? or perhaps there are few parents able (or willing) to part with so much money!

thanks for your input guys.

I think it is a new visa because I've not seen it on the website before until very recently. it's taken a while to get a firm answer out of NZIS about a few queries my parents had so I gather there haven't been too many cases before as we have been met with confusion everytime we've tried to ask a specific question. Anyway, we seem to be getting somewhere now and the Business and Investment dept of NZIS have been much more helpful as I suppose they know more about it so if anyone is thinking of doing this type of visa, we've had some very helpful answers from BusinessEnquiries@dol.govt.nz.

It is a lot of money to part with and it's going to be a penny pinching few months for them to be able to come up with every last cent of it.

Well, they'll be getting their 'to do' lists sorted at the moment so I'll let you know the ins and outs as we get further with the application.