Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Initial deposits for utilities etc?

Default Initial deposits for utilities etc?

Hi there.
    Definitely moving in August and just wondering how much (roughly) does it cost for deposit for utilites? I understand it is 5-6 weeks rent for a rental deposit but looking at electric, water, phone, internet and such like.
    Thank you in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagabel View Post
    Hi there.
    Definitely moving in August and just wondering how much (roughly) does it cost for deposit for utilites? I understand it is 5-6 weeks rent for a rental deposit but looking at electric, water, phone, internet and such like.
    Thank you in advance.

Hello,
    Standard practice for rental is 4 weeks (we settled for 6 weeks for having a pet dog), for electricity we paid $150 towards deposit. We haven't paid deposit for water as it comes under our landlords name and we just directly pay that amount to Water supply company. Phone & Internet didn't need deposit as we are under 1 year contract. Hope that helps.

We got phone, internet and sky from Vodaphone - no deposit, but a $870 first bill for all teh fitting and sky boxes. Ouch.
    Gas was nothing.(Nova)
    Electricity (TrustPower) $240 I think. Seems daft that they thought I may skip out on electricity, but not gas or phone........
    Nothing on insurance.
    House deposit was 4 weeks (max legal allowed) + 4 weeks rent in advance.

And don't forget the letting agent will charge approx one week's rent and then there's another 15% for GST

Paid $150 deposit towards electricity on North Shore (Mercury). Nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by rogercruse View Post
    And don't forget the letting agent will charge approx one week's rent and then there's another 15% for GST

For clarity that's 1 weeks rent +GST for the letting agent, not +15% on the deposit or rent.

Only saying as we scared someone who asked this previously!

This one totally got me.. Back home its the landlord who has to pay the letting fee.

NAP - no, it's you paying it on a monthly basis in your rent...... ;-)

Our rental deposit was 3 weeks and 2 weeks rent in advance. We didn't pay a deposit for anything else as signed a year contract on the internet and pay the electricity by direct debit - certainly Genesis allow you to do this in lieu of a deposit, not sure about other suppliers.

We got broadband from Telstra and they charged no installation fee either (the list price at the time was about $250).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast