Thread: Where to rent a house in Auckland

Default Where to rent a house in Auckland

Guys

I am coming to Auckland at the end of NOV 2011 and i need your valuable comments/Suggestions about where to rent a house in Auckland
    We are family of 3 people.......Myself,wife and Son(2.5 years)

Please help me out

Thanks
    Babar

Hello there,
    It'd help for people to answer if you can give more information around which area you are looking, CBD/suburb, budget etc. Seems like property market will be pretty much fluid during September & October due to World cup.

Thanks a lot for your reply

I will be landing at the end of Nov or early Dec 2011

and what are the rates there????? as i need to rent a small home

Thanks
    Babar

Ok Babar, some of the good properties that I liked while house hunting were at $350 (last year for furnished 2-3 bedroom unit & some units were unfurnished at same cost-depending on the area). If you go up towards north shore, you might be able to cut down on rent but spend similar/more amount on traveling, likewise some suburbs away from public transport.
    I assume you would be looking for areas which are accessible to CBD, try to look at rail network and shortlist which one you might be interested in, based on that search some properties on trademe/rental agencies which will help you to get hang of current rentals. I followed all above steps which helped to about 40%, some of the properties do not get listed on websites and can only be checked at real estate agent's office.

Even if you shortlist any place now, things might change from now till end of the year, still you would know which areas to target.

Agents might not be interested if you try getting in touch with them now for 2 reasons i.e. its long way from now and that you are not in the country yet.

It might be very difficult to "securely" arrange accommodation (directly rent out a place from overseas), do give some thoughts on moving into a hotel/motel for a week and take things from there on. To start with, studio service apartment/hotel/motel might be good option as your son is very young.

Based on my experience some properties look like next wonder of the world and in reality you might just wish it matched to 10% of the photographs or what agents claim to be

Hope that helps a bit

A good place to look at what is available and prices you should go and have a look at Trademe.co.nz . However I struggled as I didn't really know where all the specific streets/suburbs were in relation to work etc, so I have found www.suburbview.co.nz a great little tool too. You just enter the suburb you are interested in and click on the 'Rent' option - it can be a little slow to pick up on the suburb you have input and for the results map to load, so just be patient (It also works for 'Buying' too )

All of the 'central suburbs' or the North Shore are nice. From my experience you should expect to pay min $550-$600 per week for a nice three bedroom house on the City side suburbs (e.g. Mt Albert, Sandringham, more in Ponsonby etc). If you have kids you will want to take schools into account and generally the more middle class the area the better the schools and the more expensive the rent.

we are family of 3......and i would like to rent a one bedroom apartment/flat....but in auckland city center.....so that i have easy access to markets and offices of Big compaines......please suggest.....as i think rughby wc is just round the corner.....so rent will be touching the sky now......i am planning to b auckland in late Dec.....early Jan.....

Quote Originally Posted by babar5abbas View Post
    we are family of 3......and i would like to rent a one bedroom apartment/flat....but in auckland city center.....so that i have easy access to markets and offices of Big compaines......please suggest.....as i think rughby wc is just round the corner.....so rent will be touching the sky now......i am planning to b auckland in late Dec.....early Jan.....
    #In which case ignore my advice for a 3 bed house in the (central) suburbs!
    As an earlier poster said, trademe.co.nz is the place to look.