Thread: Anyone in GIS/Spatial Analyst positions?

Default Anyone in GIS/Spatial Analyst positions?

Hello,

Admittedly it's somewhat of a niche market, but I was wondering if there's anyone in here that currently works or has worked in the GIS/Spatial Analyst industry in NZ?

I'm just coming to the end of my MSc in this subject in the UK, and wanted to get a temperature check on what the job market is like in NZ and who the biggest employers typically are for GIS analysts.

Also, anyone know if it falls under any of the skilled migrate categories? The plethora of IT related categories is a tad confusing, or is it best to contact the gov department directly?

ta very muchly,
    Manners

Quote Originally Posted by Manners1983 View Post
    Hello,

Admittedly it's somewhat of a niche market, but I was wondering if there's anyone in here that currently works or has worked in the GIS/Spatial Analyst industry in NZ?

I'm just coming to the end of my MSc in this subject in the UK, and wanted to get a temperature check on what the job market is like in NZ and who the biggest employers typically are for GIS analysts.

Also, anyone know if it falls under any of the skilled migrate categories? The plethora of IT related categories is a tad confusing, or is it best to contact the gov department directly?

ta very muchly,
    Manners
    I'm an old GIS guy (way back...) but don't work in the field here.. I do occasionally deal with some of the local GIS analysts for DOC and the local council (Nelson) - the government does employ a lot of GIS capabilities, so they are worth a look. Also, I did find a decent number of job postings on Seek for GIS-related roles: http://yahoo.seek.co.nz/JobSearch?Da...archFrom=quick , some are contract and some are permanent - many may require that you already have the right to work, but it is worth a look and maybe a discussion with a recruiter or two.

The GIS roles don't appear to be on either the Long-Term or Immediate Shortage Lists right now, but that doesn't preclude you from being hired, it just means you have to go the Work Visa route to start.

Hope this helps.

I've a mate who works at GNS who mentioned they're looking for GIS people, might be worth dropping them an email or check out their online vacancies?

Thanks for both of the replies, to be honest I wasn't really expecting much back on this one!

I've contacted GNS to test the waters, and the yahoo search has thrown up a lot of recruiters I wasn't aware of - so cheers!

Good news to hear that DOC and the Gov in general employ a lot of GIS roles, bad news in that I guess the public sector in NZ is taking just as big a hit as the public sector in the UK...

I posted a link last week to a job advert at Beca (engineering consultancy) fro a GIS analyst. Cant remember what level it was - ie may have needed experience. Was on teh online careers website.

Hi Manners1983

I did my PGDiploma in GIS(UK) and my Other degree in Civil Engineering(INDIA).
    GIS has a wide range of application, It can be used in Roads , Planning , Marketting , Retail and many many more, Medicine , Logistics , Diasaster Management , Landuse etc.

Manners1983 What is your other degree in ?
    Check if the other degree comes under skill shortage ?

I am sure there should be some relation between your MSc GIS Degree and
    Graduation Degree !

As advised By Duncan74 , BECA recently had advised , but i am sure you need to be in NZ for any chance of employment with them. Atleast that is response i have received till date.

Hope all this helps folks and apologies for delayed reply

Regards
    rashvk

I am still waiting on for a decision from my CO
    Will get there is the hope

The forestry industry hires a few GIS types as well.

Along with the usual job search places this one lists forestry jobs as well:

http://www.fridayoffcuts.com/dsp_ads.cfm?type=Job

Thanks to everyone for the responses!

It has been a great help in getting myself familiar with the industry in NZ, always a little daunting looking to break into a job market you know precious little about!

Re rashvk - my BSc was in Geography, (nothing terribly exciting or in particular demand) and like most then went into a career that had nothing to do with my degree!!

In all likelihood it will be my OT’s skills as a primary school teacher (early years/foundation) that will hold us in good stead in terms of gaining the requisite visa. Just comforting to get a bit of background on the job market I will be looking to get into.

My lack of working experience is always going to be a limiting factor, but hopefully I can get something under my belt in the UK before making the move!!

Manners1983
    The following companies use GIS in UK from Digitising to Asset Management
    Infoterra - They do jobs for RPA , Basic Digitising jobs for various landuse maps and Agriculture areas. ( Arcview and customised database collection)
    Scottish Water - They use Small World ( Which is a Bit different) and Mapinfo for other analysis.
    National Grid - Arcinfo - Their Training is worth every Penny
    Otherwise a good number of council's use them for planning.
    MWH , RPS Water Plc , Atkins , Thames Water etc

Advice - If you are good in database management and SQL , then u sure will be an asset to any organisation - Know your data and advice on its managament you will be the cream for that organisation.

Ta for now and hope it helps

Trust me GIS is an amazing subject if known to be utilised

Regards
    rashvk
    Hope this helps in planning your further employment.