Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Medical Journey

Default The Medical Journey

This is a thread that captures my experience regarding the medical part of my application process. Part of the challenge I've found is figuring out the steps and timing based on my particular situation. I guess this is what immigration advisors are paid to do. But I was quoted $6,000 to get their assistance. No thanks!

My plan is to apply for SMC asap which requires a medical. Yet, I figure it makes sense to NOT send in the EOI or ITA documents until I know if everything is ok on my medicals. "Ok" meaning --all boxes being checked as normal, and therefore won't need to get referred to an MA. MA = slow down from what I've read.

As mentioned earlier, I am concerned I may have pre-diabetes as a blood sugar tested "high normal" a couple times. Yet I've never been diagnosed as having diabetes. My blood pressure also tends to be on the highish side as well. Cholesterol ratio, thyroid etc was fine last checked. I've never been on meds for anything, and have no other major medical problems or histories. BUT, I haven't been to the Dr. in two years so I'm unsure of where all my levels etc are at.

My starting BMI, and waist measurements are (32.8, 37"). So my goal is to get BMI below 30 and waist to 34. With these measurements I understand there is no requirement for the Dr. to do additional blood glucose etc testing. Is this correct what I read in the Medical Examiners document?

As of today I've already lost 4 lbs in just a few days, and BMI down to 32.1! I'm doing this via running, and a "clean eating" program (e.g. 5 small meals/day, carb/protein at each meal and 2-3 litres water/day). My goal is to lose 20 by the end of July certainly by August to get to the BMI goal, and keep going to goal weight after that.

My first Dr. appointment is next week. Then off to get chest xray, and bloodwork. After I get my results and discuss with the immigration Dr., I'll apply to EOI. I'm getting all my other documentation ready in the meantime.

Default Just to let you know

My medical was all clear but I still had to go through the Ma because I had had what they class as major surgery. Had a gastric band inserted about 6 years ago. I have had no problems with it but I still had to go through Ma. When I spoke to my CO she stated that anyone that has had surgery has to go through Ma. Not sure if this has any impact on yourself but thought I might just share the info to make you aware as might have a baring on you application
    Fee

I've never had what could be classified as a surgery. So think ok there... but good to know what other things could pop up that would be an automatical referral to the MA.

she stated that anyone that has had surgery has to go through Ma
    I've never seen this stated before. It'll be interesting to hear other people's comments.

Quote Originally Posted by fefifo72 View Post
    When I spoke to my CO she stated that anyone that has had surgery has to go through Ma.
    Gosh, I hope not - my OH had a ureter transplant when she was 11 - 30 years ago, hope this isn't a reason for auto referral as she starts work on 22nd August, we need at least the WV through by then.

Also - just a note Char - you will need the medicals through for a WV application as well if you intend to stay for longer than 6 months - at least that's my understanding.

Cheers,
    Chris

I believe a medical is only required if its longer than 12 months which is why I'm interested in doing the Temp Visa. I need to get there and start working so this offer doesn't fall through, and it buys me more time incase my medical has any issues. I'll be doing a medical as part of my SMC application in the next few weeks as well. So could potentially have two visa applications with immigration at the same time.

Has anyone done that before -- two visa types being applied for perhaps just a month apart? How would a CO approach this situation? Perhaps you can only apply for one at a time?
    Last edited by Char; 23rd June 2011 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Char View Post
    I believe a medical is only required if its longer than 12 months which is why I'm interested in doing the Temp Visa. I need to get there and start working so this offer doesn't fall through, and it buys me more time incase my medical has any issues. I'll be doing a medical as part of my SMC application in the next few weeks as well. So could potentially have two visa applications with immigration at the same time.

Has anyone done that before -- two visa types being applied for perhaps just a month apart? How would a CO approach this situation? Perhaps you can only apply for one at a time?
    Not sure if I'm getting your timing right, will you apply for PR after Temp visa comes through? In such a case you wont have any possible trouble, but reading INZ requirement literally, it says "if you intend to stay over 6 months....." (your intention would be clear if you plan to apply for PR while Temp visa is under process). Hope this helps to time your activities!

You can definitely have more than one application in at the same time - loads of forumites have done this. Some kind of work visa allows them to get to NZ and start working, while a Residence visa application ticks away in the background. What very often happens is that the application under Skilled Migrant is already in, then the person gets a job offer and notifies INZ, so they are allocated a CO asap. If the CO realizes that the Residence application cannot be dealt with in time, they advise the applicant to put in for a Work visa. So officials are very used to people trying to keep several balls in the air, and helping them do so if at all possible.

I agree with the feeling above, though, that it may become obvious that you are intending to stay longer, which may trigger the requirement for a medical (just a feeling, not anything concrete). You should be aware, too, that even if you get a Work visa without it, being in NZ working already would not override the need to pass the medical at whatever point you do have to take it.

I thought I'd read something about the 6 month thing - here's what INZ say about the need for a medical cert:
    If your stay in NZ is more than 6 months, but less than 12, you may require a Temporary Entry X-Ray Certificate.
    To check if this is a requirement for you, please download our Health Requirement Leaflet and refer to page 4.

If you are planning to remain in New Zealand for longer than 12 months in total (as a visitor, worker or student), or if you are applying for residence, a Medical and X-Ray Certificate must be attached to your application.

In some countries, medical certificates may only be issued by doctors that have been specifically approved by Immigration New Zealand (eg. England, Netherlands, etc). Please refer to our list of Panel Doctors to find out if you need to see one of our panel doctors. You may enter the name of your country in the Search field, for a more specific listing.

If you are in NZ, however, any registered medical practitioner can complete your certificates.

You may also be able to submit your medical certificate online.

This answer was last updated on 25 August, 2010.

So - I'm guessing that any WV you get issued will give you probably 12 months plus in the country - also, on the WV application form you have to declare how long you intend to stay in the country - now I'm not one to look on the down side of things, but I am one to think about risk - and it is possible that if you state you are intending to stay in the country less than 12 months to avoid submitting a medical cert, then you submit a Residency application or they get wind that you're employer expects you for a good while longer than 6 months, they might just pull your visa and send you home. It's a possibility you have to consider is all I'm saying.

Good points. Just to be clear I have full intentions to do a medical everyone! This isn't about avoiding it, its a timing issue. Wish I had a CO I could consult with directly already!

From an employment perspective, I'm on 6 months probation so technically, its not permanent work till after 6 months. So a 6-12 month visa actually makes more sense initially. So apply for that now, and then the SMC going he EOI in a 1-2 weeks which outlines my intention for residency.

I've submitted this question into INZ as well so hope to get that answer in a couple of days. I'll look into this further. I haven't applied to anything yet so good to check this out now. Are there any other contacts from INZ or other that might be helpful for me to connect with? Thanks!
    Last edited by Char; 24th June 2011 at 04:17 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast