Thread: How are rental applicants selected?

Default How are rental applicants selected?

I heard there are dozens of potential applicants at each viewing in the Auckland area... How are renters selected? This seems a bit crazy coming from the US.......

We once went to look around a rental property and there were 4 families running around to check different areas of the house .

From our experience, try to have a chat with owners as (most of the times) they go through applications and shortlist them to agent.

Writing a 'renters cv' explaining why you're the perfect tenant is the way to go. In our case then we had no kids, no pets and both had good jobs with a blue chip company helped.

Add in that I'd met the owner way before when I was being a good samaritan helping her neighbour and that probably swung it over the other family looking round at the same time.

(I say same time, but I didn't actualyl get to see it as I was at work, so signed up without seeing inside......)

This is the land of who you know.

In the absence of having that to call on you have to work on who you can schmooze.

Don't meet the agent for the first time at the house you really want- trawl round the agencies and meet them, handing out (brief) renters CVs and if you can afford it, offer 3 months rent in advance or some other sweetener.

Be prepared to be treated like an applicant for the dole in a British jobcentre.

I was going to say lie about any pets you may have but that would start everyone cursing me, so I won't say that.