Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do people from the US or UK want to move to NZ?

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    You are right the purpose might be much more important than the reason.

The OP though contains the tiny limitation that only people from UK and US are addressed (see below)

Because you lot are just a supporting cast

Seriopus point and I risk demonstrating my own prejudices, ill based assumptions and lack of knowledge about India here. But this is the second time I remember this, or simmilar being asked. Now I fully agree with the 'you need to move for the positives' answer, but then I do wonder if that's because the majority of us from the UK/US have / had lifestyles which to us weren't perfect, but would be a dream for many from other countries where simply housing and feeding a family is less easy. To us then congestion made our commutes 'hell', but to others then it's a case of rationing food.

So whilst 'we' say that you've got to move for the positives, then it's because our expectations of life are higher than some others.

I know I've probably worded this badly and end up implying something different to what I really mean, but the nature of the question almost assumes this to be the case, from the opposite side.

I moved here for the interesting (to me) job, a chance to try a different country and the convenience of mountain biking/surfing etc to where I live and work.
    Love it here, but then I also loved living in UK/London and will go back one day.
    I fancy Germany next though

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    because the majority of us from the UK/US have / had lifestyles which to us weren't perfect
    us 'lot' might agree on this, looking from the outside ...

Quote Originally Posted by alexmahone View Post
    I'm curious as to why many people on this forum, who are from the US or UK, want to move to NZ. In what way is NZ better?
    actually the nugget of the question may lie in a (misguided?) assumption that the UK and USA are good places to live ... so the question may be less about NZ and more about - hey they are great countries to live in - so why would anyone want to leave the USA & UK!!???

....feel like I'm answering an essay here LOL

and if that is the question!!

.... then I could write 10,000 words on 'waking up' to what the UK & USA have become, not what they used to be. The essay would include words like: police state, pre-occupation with fear and risk, growing inequality, the emergence of a super elite class, oil, military invasions, human rights, guantanamo bay, islamaphobia, rampant capitilsm, deceit, corruption, demise of democracy, fuelling terrorism, poor climate, over-crowding, lowering quality of life, deteriorating infrastructure, pollution, unemployment, recession, the collapse of western capitalism .... and of course what great countries they are.

What's the deadline for the essay?

Quote Originally Posted by themilkybarkid View Post

.... then I could write 10,000 words on 'waking up' to what the UK & USA have become, not what they used to be. The essay would include words like: police state, pre-occupation with fear and risk, growing inequality, the emergence of a super elite class, oil, military invasions, human rights, guantanamo bay, islamaphobia, rampant capitilsm, deceit, corruption, demise of democracy, fuelling terrorism, poor climate, over-crowding, lowering quality of life, deteriorating infrastructure, pollution, unemployment, recession, the collapse of western capitalism .... and of course what great countries they are.
    I would agree with all of those descriptive words. I give your essay an A

depending upon what you are looking for....
    NZ could be worse than USA & UK!!

So it depends upon what you want out of a country

1. want to enjoy a high standard of luxuries?
    2. want to earn a big salary?
    3. want to get great online bargains?
    4. want to make a killing selling your house in your home country and get a mansion for the same price?
    5. want to live is a state of the art insulated house?
    6. want easy access to shops with all the top brands?
    7. want great TV with hundreds of great channels?
    8. want to have access to see the top bands in the world perform live?
    9. want to get rich quick?
    10. want to enjoy a warm climate all year round?

then don't choose NZ its a much worse place than USA or UK

but for what I'm looking for it's a much better place than the USA or UK

so it depends what you are looking for....?
    Are you saying you can't get any of those? Only for us the salary thing is now much better & far more than if we had stayed in the UK, I think a few of the others too but then I realise that I've just become used to what I can get, a few online bargains if you surf enough, we did make money on our UK house & compared to what we had we do live in a mansion, it's not by any stretch of the imagination but to us we could never have afforded it where we were

Quote Originally Posted by Georgebulldog View Post
    Are you saying you can't get any of those? Only for us the salary thing is now much better & far more than if we had stayed in the UK, I think a few of the others too but then I realise that I've just become used to what I can get, a few online bargains if you surf enough, we did make money on our UK house & compared to what we had we do live in a mansion, it's not by any stretch of the imagination but to us we could never have afforded it where we were
    I'm delighted with NZ - and I think you are right Lindsey there are exceptions - so it wont always be the case - but as a general rule what I'm trying to say is that if these are the things you are looking for NZ isn't the best country in these respects
    I think this list isn't what you'd focus in on NZ for... NZ has lots of other attributes instead!

I'm delighted with NZ - and I think you are right Lindsey there are exceptions - so it wont always be the case - but as a general rule what I'm trying to say is that if these are the things you are looking for NZ isn't the best country in these respects
    I think this list isn't what you'd focus in on NZ for... NZ has lots of other attributes instead!
    Ahhh I get ya & yes your right, would have moved to OZ for the climate myself it it weren't for those spiders

Quote Originally Posted by Georgebulldog View Post
    would have moved to OZ for the climate
    That is quite ambiguous!
    Brooke or Darwin - take it, I wouldn't like it - too hot, too humid; Canberra or Hobart - that is fine, like here!

actually the nugget of the question may lie in a (misguided?) assumption that the UK and USA are good places to live ... so the question may be less about NZ and more about - hey they are great countries to live in - so why would anyone want to leave the USA & UK!!???
    The nugget of the question may also lie in OP looking at all 3 countries as potential places to emigrate since they say there is a better standard of living in all three than where they are now. OP seems to have gone AWOL so we may never know!

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast