Thread: Can one of us stay on after our reccie trip?

Default Can one of us stay on after our reccie trip?

Hi All,
    We have booked a reccie and submitted an EOI and wondered......

My OH has an interview in the first week of us being there and if he is offered a job it will take our points above the 140 threshold, so does that mean that we will get an invitation to apply and he will be able to stay & work in nz? I could come home and then sell the house etc. Is this feasible?

& how much is an ITA?

Cheers in advance!

Adele

If your points go over 140, he will get selected. As long as everything on his EOI is accurate when checked, he will get an ITA and can start gathering evidence. The process might not happen quickly enough to suit the NZ employer, in which case INZ may suggest that your OH applies for a Work Visa to bridge the gap so he can start working while the other application ticks away in the background.

Information about the fees for different INZ processes is available on their website. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...or.htm?level=1

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    If your points go over 140, he will get selected. As long as everything on his EOI is accurate when checked, he will get an ITA and can start gathering evidence. The process might not happen quickly enough to suit the NZ employer, in which case INZ may suggest that your OH applies for a Work Visa to bridge the gap so he can start working while the other application ticks away in the background.

Information about the fees for different INZ processes is available on their website. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...or.htm?level=1
    I'm one of those who did just that: Application for work visa due to these time issues. It was granted for two years so time enough to work on the lengthier resident application.
    Advice: Have your police certificates done and the documentation with you. Depending on the countries you need it for they may take some time. Medical done here is quickly done provided there are no health issues.

My family who came several months later applied for extended tourist visa. Their validity ended on the same date as my work visa's.

Thanks for the advice

It is great to hear that it is possible. However, how & where do I get the police checks done? I thought that the nz authorities would do that?

Does it matter that our EOI is in my name not my OH?

Cheers,

Adele

Adele,

First off, you need to do some reading. The process is pretty well documented in the NZIS guidance documents, but there are lots of branches to the path that may or not apply to any individual. We've been through it / gone through it, and so whilst we;ve experience of what our situation is then YOU need to check through and see what will apply to your circumstances. Legally no-one is allowed to give oyu immigration advice, all we can do is point to the NZIS website and share our own stories.

Some thoughts on the specifics - ITA was about UKP750 when I did it 18 months ago, I think it's over UKP800 now, and then you need to add on medicals which will be about UKP300 each and need to be done close to ITA submission as they have a very short validity. There are additional fees when successful too, UKP 150 each I think.

If the EOI is in your name then your partners job offer is of no use at all. In that case then you'd need to consider how many points he had with a job compared to you without (if your skills / qualification / experience) are on the approved list then you could still have more points with you as the moin applicant compared to your partner with a job. Having said that, if their job isn't on the shortage list then it will be a hard task to get the work permit as an un employed kiwi could do that job (by definition).

Don't understimate the time it takes to sell a house in the UK. Even at a 'fire sale' price then depending on location and type of property then there are many on the forum that have taken over a year. In our case then it was on the market in November 09, offer accepted april 2010 and completed in January 2011. So I was over here from May with my Wife back in the UK until January. That's hard for both, and there are others who have been in the sme situation that have ad varying degrees of success with that sort of arrangement.

I don't want to appear too critical, and hopefully the comments above have been useful, but I thinki if you seriously want this then you need to cancel your plans for the weekend, and spend 2 days together reading the NZIS website guidance notes, thinking about how the finances work with you apart and running two households (may be a short talk for all I know, you could have millions in the bank, but do the budget), and really think through the timelines from a realistic perspective and not an optimistic one.

Could just be the wording of your post, but what comes through is a bit of a lack of knowledge, and I wonder what other things you don't know about a move over here. Of course the details of the timelines and visa requirements are going to be essential to know before your partners interview, as it's bound to come up there so they will need to be prepared with the right answers.

All the best

Duncan

Thanks Duncan,

[QUOTE=Duncan74;413199]Adele,

First off, you need to do some reading. The process is pretty well documented in the NZIS guidance documents, but there are lots of branches to the path that may or not apply to any individual. We've been through it / gone through it, and so whilst we;ve experience of what our situation is then YOU need to check through and see what will apply to your circumstances. Legally no-one is allowed to give oyu immigration advice, all we can do is point to the NZIS website and share our own stories.

I appreciate that I need to do some reading and that no-one is permitted to give immigration advice. It is the personal stories that I would like to hear and any advice. With all advice I will always follow it up by checking on the relevant website. However, this forum is excellent at pointing you in the right direction and the relevant website.

Some thoughts on the specifics - ITA was about UKP750 when I did it 18 months ago, I think it's over UKP800 now, and then you need to add on medicals which will be about UKP300 each and need to be done close to ITA submission as they have a very short validity. There are additional fees when successful too, UKP 150 each I think.

If the EOI is in your name then your partners job offer is of no use at all. In that case then you'd need to consider how many points he had with a job compared to you without (if your skills / qualification / experience) are on the approved list then you could still have more points with you as the moin applicant compared to your partner with a job. Having said that, if their job isn't on the shortage list then it will be a hard task to get the work permit as an un employed kiwi could do that job (by definition).

My OH job is developing electric motors and his years of experience is rare throughout the world, to the extent that after speaking to prspective employers from last weekend 4 of them want to speak to him once we are over there. It would appear in theory he could get a job offer especially beeing on the shortage list. I am a science teacher, again on the shortage list and have spoken to schools in different parts of nz; 3 of which are letting me in for a day to observe, talk to other teachers to find out about the practicalities of teaching in nz.

Don't understimate the time it takes to sell a house in the UK. Even at a 'fire sale' price then depending on location and type of property then there are many on the forum that have taken over a year. In our case then it was on the market in November 09, offer accepted april 2010 and completed in January 2011. So I was over here from May with my Wife back in the UK until January. That's hard for both, and there are others who have been in the sme situation that have ad varying degrees of success with that sort of arrangement.

We have discussed this, as our 1st house took 12months to sell 6 years ago; so I don't think that we are that naive.

I don't want to appear too critical, and hopefully the comments above have been useful, but I thinki if you seriously want this then you need to cancel your plans for the weekend, and spend 2 days together reading the NZIS website guidance notes, thinking about how the finances work with you apart and running two households (may be a short talk for all I know, you could have millions in the bank, but do the budget), and really think through the timelines from a realistic perspective and not an optimistic one.

As for finance, we know our limits. The original post was to ask if the scenario was possible, could we do it if we needed to. We are trying to find out as much info as possible to make an informed decision, what is the best option --> plan A through to Z.

Could just be the wording of your post, but what comes through is a bit of a lack of knowledge, and I wonder what other things you don't know about a move over here. Of course the details of the timelines and visa requirements are going to be essential to know before your partners interview, as it's bound to come up there so they will need to be prepared with the right answers.

You're right. There is a lack of knowledge, however we are finding out the information we need to know now, before we go on our reccie, to know our limits and our options. Afterall, a month's reccie for 3 is not cheap.

Thanks for the advice though.

Adele

Does it matter that our EOI is in my name not my OH?
    There is no such thing as 'our' EOI. In every case, ONE person is applying for Residence, and if their partner is mentioned, everything about the partner is dependent on what becomes of the main applicant's case, with only a minimal amount of points being available for the partner having even the highest possible level of qualifications. Just mentioning this to back up what Duncan said about considering having your OH as main applicant.

Cheers!