Thread: Best time to look for work?

Default Best time to look for work?

I've recently been approved a Silver Fern Job Search visa and have to be in NZ by the 20th of December.

I'm in two minds with regard to when I should arrive to find a job:

On the one hand, earlier is better because I'd avoid the slowdown period around Christmas time (Dec - Jan or so). However, the Rugby World Cup will bump up prices of rentals etc. The earliest I would be able to arrive is about 10 August.
    Alternatively, I could arrive on the 18th of December and then wait for mid Jan or so for things to come back to life.

Ideally, I would have liked to arrive at mid Jan, but that's not possible. Any suggestions or insight would be much appreciated!

You seem to be leaving out the middle ground - what about getting there around the last week of October, when the RWC will be over, and you would still have November and the first part of December to look for work in, before the shut-down for the end of year holidays?

I think it's optimistic to think of mid-January as when business is fully picking up - a lot of people are still on holiday till the schools go back around the beginning of February. Even where firms are open after Christmas and New Year, they may well be running with skeleton staff, in my experience.

It hugely depends on the job sector and the region; some are thriving in Dec/Jan.

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    It hugely depends on the job sector and the region; some are thriving in Dec/Jan.
    ralf-nz: I'm in IT (development).

JandM: I could arrive at the end of October, just want to avoid a situation where I've been job seeking longer than expected and then hit a dry patch. But I'm probably analysing too much

Me too I was planning to arrive by first of September but when I had a look on the rental price during this time I found it will be almost duplicate then I start thinking in August I think it is a good time for moving and find a long term accommodation before the RWC.
    I know it is really hard decision but don't want to wait till Jan.
    Good luck bavbat