Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ship or Buy

Arrow Ship or Buy

Greetings. My wife and I have been following this forum for about two months. We have a two year old daughter. We are in the process of getting ready to submit her documents for approval to the Nursing Council of NZ. Hopefully she will be granted licensure through there reciprocity program (she is licensed in the US). If that happens we plan to submit the EOI soon after.

My question is do you recommend shipping our furniture, or buying everything in NZ? We thought about just bringing our luggage on the plane and buying the rest as we get settled. Do you know anyone who has done the move this way? The furniture we own in the States is of average quality, though most of it is old and probably not worth much. Curious if this is common to not ship our stuff in a crate, and buy there. We’ve been quoted about $5k from Wisconsin to NZ.

Cheers and wish us luck!

Hello and welcome.

Have you had a look at furniture for sale in NZ, e.g. on suppliers' websites and/or on TradeMe? This might give you an idea of what is available - though be aware that you don't ever reckon to pay the full quoted price in a NZ store, as there are frequent sales, and even then, you haggle.

Whether to bring your own things or to buy in NZ is a question that has often been discussed on the forum - here are some old threads. http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...&aqi=&aql=&oq=

Personally I would recommend shipping everything!

Check out Trade Me and then possibly pay a visit to Ikea and price out and possibly pick up some key items. I think it makes sense to ship some of your items and you can always supplement in NZ.

Ship ship ship!

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

I would ship. Even when we priced up items for the shipping insurance, when we claimed, we found out that the cost to replace over here was way above the costs we covered for.

I'd recommend shipping. Especially things like bookcases and flat pack furniture. We brought 1 pallet (1 cu meter) of things for around $1k USD via UPakWeShip (mostly books). We were able to outfit ourselves with basic used furniture off TradeMe for under $1k when we arrived.

The advice we have had from the kiwis we know (and friends who have emigated) is to ship as much as you can. Theres nothing quite like being surrounded by your own things when you get into a place of your own, it helps make you feel more settled.

Our 40 ft container just left two days ago bound for NZ. Our philosophy was take everything - what we don't end up needing we can sell on Trade me.

even if we did not bring any furniture over we would still had needed a container just for all the personal items, Our Daughters clothes,shoes,books, the list goes on. Even Secondhand furniture is fairly expensive over here so bring what you can

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast