Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Emigrating to NZ with PR and Kids - University Fees

Default Emigrating to NZ with PR and Kids - University Fees

Has anyone here moved to NZ with kids at Uni or about to enter into Uni higher education?

Does entry to NZ with PR status give us the same rights as native NZ's with respect to higher education and associated fees? We are currently applying for residency via SMC status and if we end up having to pay fees for our kids as International Students that would be a total deal killer on emigration.

My understanding is that with PR status our kids would only be required to pay native NZ fees so entry with PR would be an imperative.

As far as I know entering on a PR status gives you the right to domestic fees which is the same as a person born, raised & living in NZ. We will be in the same situation where my husband will be finishing his degree and we know with PR he has the right to the cheaper fees. It's with the WTR visa that you are not considered a permanent resident and don't have the right to domestic fees until you meet PR requirements. Hope this helps

Eligibility for student loans has changed - they need to have been resident in NZ for 2 years now.
    http://www.studylink.govt.nz/about-s...dget-2010.html

Simon

Yes- having PR would allow them to pay domestic fees (which for my program are 1/4 of the international fees). The loan system has changed recently though- so they may be ineligible for some loans- (some of my peers have told me it's not ALL loans, but I have no experience with it, so I can't tell you about any of it really).

I am aware of the student loan situation and understand why there has to be a 2 year stand down period before these are allowed. Our youngest son might just be covered if he is allowed to take his current year again. Our daughter definitely won't be a problem.

What is annoying in all this, and the UK is no different, is that anyone claiming to be a "refugee" is exempt. Here in the UK we have thousands of people who end up in the country claiming refugee status, I suspect largely because of our generous benefits system here for such people, and get away with claiming thousands off the state. I don't have any axe to grind against any genuine refugees who are persecuted in their own countries but too many people claim such status these days without any justifiable basis and purely on economic grounds. Such is the way of the world I'm afraid and one reason why we have chosen to leave this god forsaken country that is called the UK for pastures new. I just hope that NZ isn't replicating the mistakes that have been made in the UK.
    Last edited by skywatcher; 25th June 2011 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skywatcher View Post
    What is annoying in all this, and the UK is no different, is that anyone claiming to be a "refugee" is exempt. Here in the UK we have thousands of people who end up in the country claiming refugee status, I suspect largely because of our generous benefits system here for such people, and get away with claiming thousands off the state. I don't have any axe to grind against any genuine refugees who are persecuted in their own countries but too many people claim such status these days without any justifiable basis and purely on economic grounds. Such is the way of the world I'm afraid and one reason why we have chosen to leave this god forsaken country that is called the UK for pastures new. I just hope that NZ isn't replicating the mistakes that have been made in the UK.
    Oh dear, oh dear, I fear this thread is now destined to become 40+ pages

Our daughter is studying as a domestic student from the start with PR. Since recently she is eligible for student loan and benefit.

Bynote: This semester our son came from Europe to study one semester here as an international student.

We pay around $3000 per semester for our daughter (Fee for 1st semester was paid in Feb end and 2nd semester fee is due towards July end)

My wife is currently in Uni.

If you have PR you pay the same rates as NZ citizens.

You cannot any student allowances until you have been a resident for 2 years. Not sure of the situation regarding loans as we were not interested and did not research it.

My understanding is that with PR status our kids would only be required to pay native NZ fees so entry with PR would be an imperative.

Err, I may be being a little slow here, but there are some that may consider it a bit odd for someone with what appears to be views slightly to the right of Genghis Khan with regards to refugees, to be checking to make sure they get tax payer subsidised education for their kids in a country that they've not contributed to in the past and now want to move to. Been a long long day / week at work, so I'm sure I'm missing something here that will make it all make sense and not at all like you begrudge genuine refugees a chance in the UK but expect NZ to fund your kids education because you fancy moving over here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast