Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mattresses

Default Mattresses

Someone told me the other day that you are not allowed to bring mattresses into New Zealand. Is this true? Going to be expensive to buy 4 new ones when we get there....

Eh? I can't imagine where they got that idea. The only reason I can think of that a mattress would be refused entry would be if it had viable organic material in it, e.g. if it was stuffed with non-treated seeds or beans, or if it had creatures living in it.

Here's the list of prohibited imports. http://www.customs.govt.nz/features/...s/default.aspx

mattresses are good to go

we brought all our beds over including mattresses no problem at all. Maf were not even interested to check them. Not sure where that person got their info from but it is not true at all
    Last edited by Dave in NZ; 27th June 2011 at 08:40 AM.

Total bunkum. Unless you have exotic custom made mattresses then there's been no reports of any issues. If they've been stored in a garage and are ripped so that there could be creatures inside then I suppose they may want to treat them, but that's not what you're talking about...

Quote Originally Posted by jiffy View Post
    Someone told me the other day that you are not allowed to bring mattresses into New Zealand. Is this true? Going to be expensive to buy 4 new ones when we get there....
    The reason is likely that they may contain feathers and feathers are not allowed - same was said of pillows and quilts.

However, feathers that are used in these items have all been treated and so are ok to bring, so it is a bit of a myth.

Ian

Bring your mattresses and beds cos they cost a fortune over here!! Also, bring bedding as the sizes are different.

Exclamation Biosecurity Fact Sheet

Quote Originally Posted by cappuccino View Post
    Bring your mattresses and beds cos they cost a fortune over here!! Also, bring bedding as the sizes are different.
    We brought ikea beds with us, and although different sizes to the Uk standard, found that in reality then normal UK sheets fitted, and that holds true in NZ too - standard sizes are just fine. Took a while with a tape measure to work out which standard size, but you aren't left with a lifetime of importing sheets or making do with what you bring.

we brought two bed and two mattresses and had no problem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast