Thread: Ltssl and SMC

Question Ltssl and SMC

HI,

I'm currently a Web Developer, which is on the LTSSL. I have been offered a job as Web Developer by a firm based in Auckland. The LTSSL says you should have a bachelors degree, however I contacted immigration and explained that I instead have 4 1/2 years experience in the role and am a member of the Guild of Accessible Web Designers and AccreditUK certified. The initial email I got back said

"It is still possible to consider yourself nder the skilled migrant category even if you do not have the bachelors degree. I presume that you are looking at the skilled migrant category.

You just would not be able to claim the long term skills shortage list bonus points.

Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. At least five years of relevant experience and/or relevant vendor certification may substitute for the formal qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1)."

Which I took to mean that I could apply for SMC. But being cautious and not wanting to mess my chances up I emailed again to clarify and was told

"Yes it is correct, as per the ANZSCO list you can claim points for skilled employment with five years of work experience relevant.

However you will not be able to claim points for having a qualification or any bonus points for the job being on the long term skills shortage list.

The skilled migrant category is a permanent residence category. Work to residence is a separate category whereby you need to be on a work to residence visa for a two year period and then apply for residence.( either you would need an offer of employment with an accredited employer with a salary of 55,000 dollars a year or more or have an offer of employment and met the long term skills shortage requirements ( unfortunately for the LTSSL you do not meet the requirements of the list)."

Which says I don't meet the requirements. Does this mean I can't apply for SMC? Immigration are less than helpful. I've tried the website, call centre and visiting a branch but haven't been given any proper answers.

Any help you guys could give would be greatly appreciated.

A bit more info. I have been a web developer with the same firm for the past 4 1/2 years. I am AccreditUK certified in E-Media and E-Commerce. I am also a member of The Guild Of Accessible Web Designers.
    My wife's parents lilve in Auckland and have their residency. I also have 2 young daughters (1yr and 3 yrs)

TIA

All this sounds as if the INZ right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. I don't know about your profession, but I hope some people who do will be along shortly with some comments to help.

Sounds like you may need to go down the path I'm taking --SMC but applying under Essential Skills vs. LTSS as the main driver. As I've been reading things and don't take this as immigration advice as I'm not certified, etc.

My profession is not on the LTSS, but do have a qualification Masters (equivalent to a level 8). So under SMC I'd get points for it being an essential skill, the Masters, the job offer etc. Under Essential Skills category you'll need to get docs from the employer (I have a job offer) that they've done their job search. They've provided this to me already (number of ads, how many applied, number of offers from where (local vs. international) etc.

In your case it sounds like you would not get points for LTSS either because you don't have the academic qualifications on their list? And you could that certification assessed if it is equivalent to a NZ one....but you may not need to do that either depending on how many points you have with these factors considered. It sounds like you might be able to apply under Essential Skills instead. The employer would need to demonstrate they've done their job search and not found qualified people etc.

If you do up the quick assessment what would your total be now? This is still doable as it comes down to the total points in the end, and backing it up with evidence ... perhaps other site members have a different interpretation of the site?
    Last edited by Char; 27th June 2011 at 12:52 PM.

Being 'able to apply' and 'being eligible for bonus' points are 2 different things. The key is in practice you may not get out of the EOI pool without the bonus points. Note that anyone can submit an EOI, but it's a guaranteed total waste of time paying the money if you have less than 100 points, and then is graded until a guarantee of offer if you have 140 or more. So as I read it then you're being told that you can apply SMC but then advised which points you could claim.

Sorry for the delay in replying. Been a busy few months

So, we decided to use the services of an immigration advisor. Its a couple of grand but does mean we get someone to hassle with all our questions

We decided to go down the route of just applying for a 2 year work visa initially and then once that was granted and I'd started my job, to apply for residency under SMC.
    Got our 2 year work visas issued at the end of last week, but then on monday got a call saying a mistake has been made and we need to take out passports back immediately. I'm sure you can imagine the panic attack we had lol.
    Anyway, took our passports back in and were told that our case had been re-assessed by a senior case officer who felt that we should be awarded 5 year work visas.

Obviously we are over the moon, but just wondered whether any of you guys had heard of anythiing like this happening before?

So next step is to put in our EOI.