Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BMI & waist measurements

Default BMI & waist measurements

When we first got PR we were both just inside the required BMI & waist measurement criteria. As we are planning to return this is the one area that I think we may fall down on. We both are just slightly over - by about 1 point on the BMI & similar on the waist. Has anyone had this problem? What happened if you were just slightly over but otherwise in good health? Will this cause a problem? We are trying to reduce but unfortunately age is not on our side and as much as I try it makes no difference.

It all depends on whether or not you'll be assessed by the medical examiner or not. If everything else is good hopefully one point over won't be an issue.

When you say you're unable to lose, have you looked into Syndrome X? I have that and used to find it very hard to lose weight, the trainers at my gym were shocked at the work I put in at the machines and the strict diet I was on though I would lose weight sooooo slowly and sometimes not lose any weight at all!

A great diet for me was the "Fat loss for idiots diet".

Best of luck to you both!

Hi Nicky
    I was over by quite a few centimetres. I was required to have an additional blood test - a fasting one, to check for lipids (diabetes?).
    I got in okay. Good luck

Oh, as for the Syndrome X thing - in the past doctors have wondered if I had it and ordered a whole range of tests. All show I don't have it despite carrying most of my fat around my middle.

Thanks for that Jacqi. It does give me hope. I am trying to exercise more and reducing my dietary intake and have reduced my alcohol to just one can of lager a week and the weight is going down very slowly. As we have a couple of years before we re apply I hope it goes down enough.

Oatmeal is great too - a miracle food. Good luck, you can do it!

and pull your tummy in when they measure you!

Seriously, raising your elbows above shoulder level, holding a breath high in the chest and pulling the navel back towards the spine DO make a difference - try it and see.

Can just imagine the doctors expression when I do that He'll mark me down as crazy.

Why? I'm sure he's seen plenty before!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast