View Poll Results: Christchurch?????????

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Staying!

21 42.86%
  • Going!

4 8.16%
  • Unsure.......

9 18.37%
  • Still coming!

6 12.24%
  • Not coming now!

9 18.37%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Christchurch?

I would like to say "staying", but have ticked "unsure" mainly because hubby genuinely wants to leave. I refuse to go unless he gets a job someplace (I do admin - it's everywhere, however it doesn't pay enough to keep us both happy and I don't really want to lead on something like this).

Our house is fine and we both have work. DD is rattled to some extent, fantastic in others. I'm not entirely sure whether anywhere else in NZ is safer or better for us, given floods, tornadoes etc either - and I flatly refuse to go back to Australia or the UK until I have a 100% permanent residency sticker in my passport

If hubby found a job in or near Whangarei, I think we'd probably go. This is where he grew up (well, he lived from age 10 to 25) and still has friends there. His dad - currently in Dunedin - plans to return to Northland, so that would add family to the mix. The downside would be mozzies for me and worse asthma for him. But mech eng design jobs are rare up there.

Planning to make it my home in about 2 years time (hopefully)

All looking pretty positive at the moment.
    How many people who are staying have lost/or going to lose their houses?
    Just wondering how much influence that is having on people's decisions.
    Cheers

We are in rented accomodation so from a staying point of view it wasn't really a factor. I do wonder though if we would have been staying if I had been in Sumner for the quakes in Feb and June, rather than at work and also if the house had been damaged so that we could not stay.

Like Becky we are staying but after the last one my feelings changed and I started to think about other places. How the next few months pan out may result in a a change in attitude.

The fate of our house is as yet undecided. If it doesn't get torn down there will be a huge amount of work to be done. There are lots of houses in our neighbourhood that have been torn down already and more to be done. I'm excited to see the new places being built. We have a new building being constructed for work and it was very cool to see the drawings for that. It's at the Hagley end of Moorhouse. It's going to change a lot down there in the next 6 months. We'll rise again.

I have ticked unsure, but that may change to going by the end of the week...

I have a job interview (second interview) in Auckland on Thursday. I have to say, its not entirely due to the quakes, but they have of course contributed.

We arrived in Chritschurch last April, were unfazed by the September quake, but the Februaury quake started to change our minds. The quakes in June are probably what did it for us. It not so much the earthquakes themselves, but the time that it is going to take to rebuild Christchurch back into a 'city' again. Having said that, we have been quite torn. Canterbury is beautiful, and we love where we live, which has been pretty unaffected, and we have made some good friends.

BUT I don't like my job and its not taking me anywhere, and OH has not yet got a teaching job down here (long story) and we feel that it may be more difficult now with reports that school rolls are decreasing. The result is that we are not completely settled here, so we're thinking is it worth sticking it out? I also have to mention that we are "only" 27 and 29, and we can't help thinking that by the time the city is back up and functioning, we're going to be past it (said partially in jest)

So, because we are so torn its really going to come down to if the job offer (whole package, not just salary) in Auckland is better than what I'm getting here. It is a testament to Christchurch/Canterbury that the decision is so hard given that any sane person would've escaped the quakes ages ago

Staying for now...but partly because we feel kind of stuck...

Had we lost our house or if I had been in the CBD when the Feb quake happened, I think it would be a different story. I think I would have just walked away and booked it out of here.

Staying though I know a few who are thinking of leaving

There's an interesting article on the BBC web site today about living in Christchurch since the quakes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-14620726

We're thinking of coming...currently living in Tauranga but work prospects for DH who is a Carpenter are soo good and I like the spirit of the place that I have read so much about. It would be great to be part of its rebirth...I just really like the weather in Tauranga!!!
    We will make a decision by Christmas.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123