Thread: Packing the container ourselves - any advice??

Default Packing the container ourselves - any advice??

We are going to be packing our container ourselves, I have most things already packed into boxes and everything is super duper bubble wrapped.
    I am worried about our clothes, I am putting them into garbage bags and then into boxes, will they sweat?? Also I don't know anything about marine insurance, how do I even start with that???

There have been frequent recommendations on this forum for Letton Percival for insurance.

Be absolutely sure that all your fabrics are bone-dry before you pack them. There's nothing to sweat if they don't go in with any damp. You can buy sachets etc. to desiccate your packages from various packaging firms. http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...8l1806l2-2.4l6

If there's anything that MAF are going to want to inspect, pack it in together - they charge for each box opened.

Be sure your inventory of contents of boxes is detailed and unambiguous. If you put something vague like 'miscellaneous', they're likely to want to open it.

I am not sure if putting the clothes into plastic bags helps, to be honest.
    Ours were packed into the provided cardboard boxes with just paper (also provided, white) and we took them out of the boxes after around 2 1/2 months (we had to store all our stuff between the arrival of the container and the date we could move into the rental) ans still smelled as freah as they were on the day I packed them.

We did not have the slightes sign of any humidity in the container and the packers assured me that there shouldn't be any! And no sachets or any other means, too.

Quote Originally Posted by huntergal1 View Post
    I am worried about our clothes, I am putting them into garbage bags and then into boxes, will they sweat?? Also I don't know anything about marine insurance, how do I even start with that???
    All our clothes went into black bags (garbage bags)and then into boxes and then were in storage for over a year while our house was built and they were fine when we got them

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    There have been frequent recommendations on this forum for Letton Percival for insurance.
    Being that Letton Percival is a UK firm you would need to check that they would insure you from US to NZ

we used vacum packed bags for all the expensive and important clothes...e.g. wedding outfits, suits etc, the rest were in boxes. no problems either way

We did not make any special allowance for mould or dampness and everything came out dry as a bone. Uniform size boxes are good idea so that you can stack them. I packed loads before the day and marked them Heavy/Medium/Light so that the heavy ones could go at the bottom. Fragile stuff like TVs and clocks went inside the car.

Baking soda and vanilla essence in the fridges worked a treat.