Thread: shipping nightmare unfolding

Default shipping nightmare unfolding

Well, we arrived in Dunedin May 13th after a very stressful few weeks. Our shipper Matco came with a crew to pack everything that didn't fit in a box a day before loading. The crew noticed quickly that the estimator had miscalculated the volume. Result: they needed to call in reinforcement, they did not have enough appropriate packing wrap etc.

Because of the remote location in Northern Canada, they would truck everything down to Edmonton and repack (and know rewrap allot) into a 40' container, which would go to Vancouver by rail.

After spending hours on end cleaning all our goods with pinesol, we thought we would be well prepared. On the day of loading, the crew quickly enhanced the stress levels already present by opening the basement windows and just shoving everything out through it onto the lawn. My motorcycle would be crated by them according to specs. However they had to transport it first to their facility and came to pick it up with an empty truck and strapped it down to one side with a little bit of padding in between in stead off strapping it onto a pallet or something.

The large truck that would transport our stuff to Edmonton arrived dirty. Full of sand and dust. I had to borrow brooms from the neighbour for the crew to clean it a bit.

When later complaining about this as soon as we had arrived in NZ we were stunned to get a response back accusing us from "not having been prepared". At that point they already had our about 21k but we hadn't even received an invoice nor insurance certificate.

Matco had told us that the ETA of the container would be about end june/beginning july. However, after trying to get enquire about when it would arrive and how it would be delivered, we just got an number of their contracter in NZ. After calling them we learned that Matco just lied. Expected arrival is now august 11th. The sub contracter World Moving and Storage seems to have some more surprises in the form of fees for which we already paid for and which has been clearly negotiated in the contract that we have with Matco. The mess starts to get uglier by the minute

Cannot help you there - however if you would like a chat here in town just send me PM!

Oh no, that sounds awful. I'm sorry to hear it. I hope it all turns up (in perfect shape) soon. I'd complain to the original company you had the contact with, it won't make it get here faster but it might make you feel better.

Sorry to hear of the problems you had with the removals company, hope you get it sorted, we will be going down that route soon and am not looking forward to emptying our house and outbuildings

Robinsons did the same with us a couple of years ago..our furniture was oversized...what were they expecting a dolls houses?!

Too many stories like this of late - from all around the world. Makes me so Hope your stuff gets here soon without too much more drama.

eep! I have just contacted Matco about moving our stuff from Alberta to NZ!
    hope it all works out asap

I'm trying to choose a moving company to move my stuff from Vancouver to Auckland and I'm finding it really hard! The latest quote I received was about $6000NZD for only 150 cubic feet, only packed boxes and suitcases-no furniture. I think is an absolute rip off! It'd be great if you could share how much you guys have paid to be able to compare.
    Thanks!
    Fern