Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should have listened to my gut feeling...

Default Should have listened to my gut feeling...

The removal firm we used who quoted £1000 under the competition have just told us (after three weeks of no contact) that they've sent our container and as they couldn't fit it all in, we owe them £1000. Can't wait till they try for the MAF fees at this end.

That's awful. So others can steer clear who is it?

Quote Originally Posted by mptopham View Post
    That's awful. So others can steer clear who is it?
    If you want to PM me I'll be happy to tell you. I don't really want to name and shame, I'm sure they've served others well. They have an extra 300 cubic feet of our stuff still in their warehouse, held to ransom until we pay up. We actually decided not to send some of our stuff over so I know we haven't added to what was surveyed. I just feel they underquoted to get our business in the first place and now we add the extra fees in, they've proven to be the most expensive.

Yikes thats dreadful! Hope youve told them where to get off!!!!!!

I think it might be worth writing a letter of complaint about this.

When we were quoted for a 20ft, we were told we 'might be over'. This allowed us to put some items to the side to be left to be packed last.

We were over and we were then able to decide which items to leave in the UK and which to ship in a shared container - keeping in mind that goods that go in a shared container often take longer.

Assuming the company you've used has done this before I see no reason they couldn't warn you about this and therefore give you the option to leave items behind or, at the very least, decide which went in the shared container (we did 'lose' a box from our shared items so I suspect they are less safe).

They need to take some of the responsibility for underestimating, which can either be viewed as a level of incompetence or a deliberate attempt to secure your custom with the intention of charging you extra later.

What a pain and good luck with resolving this!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwijo View Post
    Yikes thats dreadful! Hope youve told them where to get off!!!!!!
    Unfortunately they won't release our stuff unless we pay up!

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Tia Maria View Post
    I think it might be worth writing a letter of complaint about this.

When we were quoted for a 20ft, we were told we 'might be over'. This allowed us to put some items to the side to be left to be packed last.

We were over and we were then able to decide which items to leave in the UK and which to ship in a shared container - keeping in mind that goods that go in a shared container often take longer.

Assuming the company you've used has done this before I see no reason they couldn't warn you about this and therefore give you the option to leave items behind or, at the very least, decide which went in the shared container (we did 'lose' a box from our shared items so I suspect they are less safe).

They need to take some of the responsibility for underestimating, which can either be viewed as a level of incompetence or a deliberate attempt to secure your custom with the intention of charging you extra later.

What a pain and good luck with resolving this!

This is what annoys me most. They packed our container in their warehouse having collected by van over a few days. THEY decided what to put in it and shipped it before contacting us. The items left include two chairs. We sent no lounge furniture, the only chairs we sent were dining room chairs. This means that if we refuse to pay, they will not send the goods and this actually means we're going to receive half a dining room set. They've flat packed some of our wardrobes and half the wardrobe is on it's way, the other is still in their warehouse. So what we will get in the first container is useless unless we get the rest. They have actually ONLY communicated with us to tell us we need to pay more, three weeks after they packed the house up. They still haven't given any tracking numbers or information on how this will impact on our insurance. The sole email we've had is one asking for further funds.

Theres got to be some kind of Trading Standards breech here. Did you get some kind of contract from them? Do you have any contact details for their Head Office?
    Can the Citizens Advise Bureau in NZ give you any help?
    I know you must be torn between paying up so you can get your stuff and kicking up a fuss, but it really isnt on for them to be treating you the way they are.
    Stand your ground and dont let them get away with it!

Angry

Same has happened to us from South Africa. They assured us the space we booked in a groupage container would be enough and last week they emailed us and said it wasn't, so now we have to pay an extra R4500 As we've been without our stuff since January, I am just so desparate for it to arrive that they could have charged us twice as much and I would have said OK, but I guess they know this and take advantange

I think you are being conned. Did they not send someone round to do an estimation of the volume? 300 cu ft disceprepancy seems a lot ot be out. I am so glad we had them pack, load and seal the container on sight. I hope all works out for you.!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast