Thread: Earthquake in Auckland (Mission Bay)

Default Earthquake in Auckland (Mission Bay)

Now i wont even dream of saying " i now know what it is like in Christchurch" because this tremor was only 2.9 but just passing on my experience/news
    i was at my tennis club's quiz night last night in Kohimarama and during one of the questions the whole building felt like it had just be hit by a truck (only lasted one second).
    No wonder we felt it has the epicentre was just off mission bay round the corner from where we were.
    Apparently this low level is reasonably common for the auckland area but not normally so near the coastline.Most people there couldnt remember the last one like it.
    As reported in the herald someone quipped "the jolt was so strong it moved the remotes..." bless

I was lying in the bottom bunk of my daughters' bunk bed, reading to them, and to me, it felt like the cat had jumped on the top bunk.

I did wonder for a second because the bed is quite sturdy and the cat quite light, but didn't think much more of it.

There you have it: where was I when...

Daniela

We're in St Heliers and we though someone had driven into the house. OH and I have both been in earthquakes before but this one was quite different. Others have been a more rolling feeling or more little rattles. I think the major worry is not the wee shake but the worry that a bigger one is on it's way. Or that Rangitoto might wake up.

Definitely makes me feel for those in CC though if that happens a few times a day.

I'm afraid the jokes down here have revolved around "latte-faction" and "tsunami warning.. at the swimming pool"

I can definitely relate to the strange feeling that accompanies being jolted suddenly by a few inches and back again in only a second or two... then wondering whether you imagined it!

latte-faction!

Love it!

We were up in Auckland for a ball ths weekend, and survived Quake 1/7 from the comfort of our bed in Sky City Grand.

Being honest then it was only the next day when we read the paper that we realised it was a quake. Until then I'd err, ahem, lets say taken it as a complement. Honestly, we did hear it, but assumed it was a service lift rattling past.

Loved the Herald report though.

"State of emergency declared in Auckland as glass of wine topples and machiato froth spils over side of mug. "

and

"I was sat on the loo when it hit. It felt like someone had toppled over a piano upstairs. We don't even have one."

OH got a little stressed about it. She only calmed down when I showed her the British Geonet equivalent that showed a similar sized quake in Devon in the last 30 days.

Too funny! Duncan ...really? Hmmm.....Anything to assist in the marital department is (as Martha Stewart would say), "A good thing!"