Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question re shipping goods from USA

Default Question re shipping goods from USA

Hi there and thanks so much for all the helpful info.
    Quick questions:
    to people that moved from USA...are gas grills and deck furniture expensive?
    I am planning on buying jeans for us before going and got next size up of shoes for kids, going to buy some bedlinen for our beds...anything else worth buying here? anything you wish you had brought?

Thanks,

I've priced gas grills and deck furniture in NZ and have seen NZ prices equivalent to what you'd see in the U.S.

The large bottles of vitamins, Tylenol/Advil type pain killers, shampoo, such as you can buy at Costco are much cheaper in the U.S.

Warehouse offers lots of cheap options and someone here told me about www.priceme.co.nz. It's a good website to shop around for the lowest prices.

Any outdoors equipment - especially tramping boots. The quality stuff is very expensive here. Those were the things we really stocked up on and brought over with us. However, we only brought the suitcases on the plane and nothing else!!

Bedlinen is not too bad if you hit the sales at Briscos. I think a full set of average quality linen for a queen bed cost us around $30 NZD.

Trademe can be your best friend. My wife has bought lots of practically new clothes from there for $1-5 a piece. Most of it has been very good quality. If something does not fit, you are usually only out a dollar or two and you can just turn around and sell it on Trademe again.

Shopping here is different in that you really have to shop around to get the best prices on different products. There are really no "one stop shopping" places like in the US where you can find the best prices. For example, a number of grocery items are cheaper at PaknSave and some are better at Countdown depending on the sales. Fresh produce is better quality and much cheaper at a local fruit/veg store and at the farmers market. There are a few local specialty shops that have particular items that are WAY cheaper than other places. It takes a while to figure out where the best deals (and quality items) are at in your town, but you just have to explore.

We have made an effort to "wean" ourselves off the old country and products/items we may have been accustomed to in order to fully assimilate into NZ.

However, I do love an ice cold Dr. Pepper every couple of months and found a local specialty food store that sells it

Thanks for the info.
    We were pleasantly surpised to see similar food from the UK when we visited there. I normally am the one casing the foreign food aisles of Giant and Harris Teeter over here for choccie biccies etc! (we are from uk originally)

When were over for 3 weeks in march we did a campervan with kids and shopped at Pak n Save and Countdown, I really liked pak n save for prices.

Thanks again.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

I agree with TJH on the price of outdoor equipment. We're heading to the USA on holiday at the end of the month and will be taking a half-empty suitcase for sure! All toiletries and things like ibuprofen/paracetamol/vitamins are definitely worth stocking up on. I plan a Wal-Mart run when we're over.

I think outdoor furniture is expensive here, even in places like The Warehouse. We brought our furniture over because it was a nice set and we spent a fair bit on it. Grills are pricey and I haven't seen Weber over here. The quality seems poor compared to the ones you get in the US.

Pak n Save is the cheapest for us. Haven't done the farmers' market for a while as I generally can't be bothered. I did find it comparable to the prices of in-season food at Pak n Save to be honest.

Biggest price shock so far - $5 for a solitary red pepper (capsicum)!!! This was in New World in Thorndon (ouch!).

Quote Originally Posted by Manks View Post
    I agree with TJH on the price of outdoor equipment. We're heading to the USA on holiday at the end of the month and will be taking a half-empty suitcase for sure! All toiletries and things like ibuprofen/paracetamol/vitamins are definitely worth stocking up on. I plan a Wal-Mart run when we're over.

I think outdoor furniture is expensive here, even in places like The Warehouse. We brought our furniture over because it was a nice set and we spent a fair bit on it. Grills are pricey and I haven't seen Weber over here. The quality seems poor compared to the ones you get in the US.

Pak n Save is the cheapest for us. Haven't done the farmers' market for a while as I generally can't be bothered. I did find it comparable to the prices of in-season food at Pak n Save to be honest.

Biggest price shock so far - $5 for a solitary red pepper (capsicum)!!! This was in New World in Thorndon (ouch!).
    OMG........it had better cooked itself and dinner too!

As my Kiwi husband just told me...grow them. They grow like weeds and can be grown in a pot or a veggie garden. We currently pay $3 a red pepper (capsicum) when they are in season and easily $5 when they are out of season. We are planning on growing most of our veggies when we get to NZ and if something happens, my FIL and MIL have a huge veggie garden we can pinch from.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

I plan on planting a lot earlier than I did this year! LOL. I think October will be a good time to start

From conversations we've had with people living there and looking at old threads, the common consensus seems to be "bring it all". We just got a new grill and specifically got one that we can use in NZ. I think bed sizes are different from in the US too so I would plan on taking linens etc. We plan on packing our container in order of priority then shoving whatever else will fit in!you can always sell surplus stuff on Trademe later if you find you don't need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurefamily View Post
    From conversations we've had with people living there and looking at old threads, the common consensus seems to be "bring it all". We just got a new grill and specifically got one that we can use in NZ. I think bed sizes are different from in the US too so I would plan on taking linens etc. We plan on packing our container in order of priority then shoving whatever else will fit in!you can always sell surplus stuff on Trademe later if you find you don't need it.

We are going to pack in whatever order the shippers want to... just want it out of here.

We have decided to bring all furniture, beds, mattresses etc, decent linen, kitchen ware (minus electrical), grill, hubby's large tool chest, ladder, tables, chairs etc, 2 outdoor chairs, clothes (obviously), pictures and a few boxes of keepsakes and toys for kids, oh and 3 bikes and some decent shelving for garage. We are bringing 1 decent filing cabinet and saying bye bye to rest of office stuff as it is so old...

I will stock up on tylenol, advil, mvi etc just prior to leaving.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast