Thread: Timing (schools)

Default Timing (schools)

Hello good people

I've been a follower of this forum for a number of years in anticipation of launching our own push for NZ residence from the UK. We're now in a position to start and we're thinking about timings.
    My step-daughter is currently leaving year 8 (age 13) and about to start year 9 (in September). We thought it would be best to try and get out to NZ before she starts year 10 (GCSE start year) but would like to seek your advice as to whether that's best, or whether the start of year 11 would leave enough time for her to 'catch up' before the NCEA's?

Love to hear from anyone who's been in a similar boat.

Thanks in advance
    Neil

I'd say, give her as long as possible. A lot of the NCEAs are modular and assessed as you go along, so if she misses something, she misses it, without any chance to catch up by swotting. Also, even in cases where parts of the syllabus are the same as for UK courses, they may not be taught in the same way or in the same order.

Thanks for the quick response JandM.

I think the sooner you can get there so she can start to build friendships too. That will be the biggest challenge most likely for her. So, my personal opinion is to get there sooner rather than later. Good luck with your decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by neilyboy4306 View Post
    Hello good people

whether that's best, or whether the start of year 11 would leave enough time for her to 'catch up' before the NCEA's?
    We arrived at the end of 2008 and my son started school with only 2 weeks left in year 10. We found he didn't really need to "catch up" from the academic perspective but it has been good to have him in school here for years 11,12 and 13 from the certification side. One advantage to getting him started before year 11 commenced, was that he had time to think about and plan which subjects he wanted to do.

Our move was timed for my son to start Yr11 this year and thus be able to complete the NCEA from start to finish (Yr13) and not have to change subjects etc, so don't think timing is too critical before this stage, but is beneficial from a making friends etc point of view. I wouldn't have wanted him to start half-way through Yr11 or to start in Yr12, but don't suppose it would have been a train smash either.