Thread: Do I Need to Send in Passport?

Default Do I Need to Send in Passport?

Only heard back from one person on my other post and wanted to confirm whether I need to send in my physical passport when applying for a Temp and SMC visa or is a certified copy sufficient?

What do they require? Don't they need it to put your stickers into it, even for a Temp visa? I need to get the application out today. Thanks.

I've just answered you on your other thread.

You'll probably find there's a checklist with the application for the temporary work visa of what needs to go with it - ??

Yes, it asks for you to send in your visa but it doesn't say if its the physical/hard copy version (my only copy) or if a certified version is ok. As mentioned, I will need it to also send in for the SMC application so just unsure what to do. What do other people do?

Sorry I mean passport! This is what it states in the Guide---
    Passport details

"The passport details must be those of the passport or travel document you will use to travel to and from New Zealand.

You must send your passport or travel document with your application. It must be valid to at least three months past the date you plan to leave New Zealand".

Its not clear..

Quote Originally Posted by Char View Post
    Sorry I mean passport! This is what it states in the Guide---
    Passport details

"The passport details must be those of the passport or travel document you will use to travel to and from New Zealand.

You must send your passport or travel document with your application. It must be valid to at least three months past the date you plan to leave New Zealand".

Its not clear..
    It seems to say you must send your passport, the actual thing not a certified copy.

When applying for SMC in NZ in due course (no hurry because you'll already be on the work visa), you can send in a certified copy, then, when they approve in principal, they can tell you to send in the actual thing for your visa.

HOWEVER, everyone is trying to get your temporary work visa as fast as possible, so do what they tell you - 'You must send your passport or travel document with your application.' A copy is of no use at this point.

Hi Char,

I understand it as you CAN send certified copies with your residence application, but they might ask for the original anyway, and will need the original to put the stamp in.

We sent originals off with the residency and temp visa apps today, but a certified copy of my daughters as it's being renewed. The app does say that if you need your passport back urgently, you can request it, or if the travel is imminent, then cert copies will do but you must explain why you haven't sent the original.

Thanks all! I've sent off for my Temp Visa (with original passport) today. Ottawa should receive it by Wednesday. Hopefully all is in order for a quick processing. I sent in a return envelope for them as well. And the EOI went in yesterday as well. So wheels are definately in motion now. Excited!