Thread: Job Hunt - How soon?

Default Job Hunt - How soon?

1. How soon in the SMC immigration process life cycle should one start the job hunt, if one is living outside NZ?
    2. "Don't just email your CV - call prospective employers first." - this is what I have read in one of the forums. Do NZ employers/recruiters entertain cold calls from candidates enquiring about the job posted in online portals? If yes, What is the best way - email the CV (ofcourse, NZ formatted) and follow up with a call 1-2 days later referring to the emailed CV or call the point of contact first before sending the CV?
    3. Is it good/mandatory to mention the current visa status (EOI selected, ITA documents submitted, awaiting CO assignment etc.) in the CV? If yes, where do we mention this in the CV?
    4. While calling employers regarding job enquiries, is it fine to make the call via PC to phone tools that are less expensive than international calls? I understand call quality would be a concern, but...

One more query, adding to the above

5. Does providing 2/3 referees (all outside NZ) in the CV add value to it or is it better to leave it as "Provided upon request"?

Some quick answers:

1. Very few employers are keen to recruit overseas candidates, reason being not many of them would be interested to go through immigration hurdle.

2. It won't help unless you are applying for job which accepts overseas candidates.

3. From my experience, put a note below your personal details (or contact nos that your visa is under process) or sponsorship required to work or something similar to that.

4. It doesn't matter where you call from, just make sure there are no unwanted noises or disturbances. I have seen some of the HR people responding to calls while multi-tasking with tonnes of things

5. Standard practice is to put - "available on request", plus point is if any prospective employer or agency asks for references, you will know what exactly is happening with your application.

Hope that helps and someone might add in more thoughts!

Quote Originally Posted by Sun777 View Post
    Some quick answers:

1. Very few employers are keen to recruit overseas candidates, reason being not many of them would be interested to go through immigration hurdle.

2. It won't help unless you are applying for job which accepts overseas candidates.
    Thanks Sun777 for your responses.
    1. I understand the employers' side of issues in recruting overseas candidates. Basically, I'm seeing if a job offer would help me fast track my application. But the million dollar question is how do I convince the employer that I'm indeed a very serious migrant.
    2. How do we know if the employer is interested in overseas candidates or not? I have seen job adverts clearly mentioning that only candidates having the right to work in NZ / residents will be considered. Is it safe to assume that the job advers where the above citation is not made are open to look into overseas candidates as well?

There is no easy answer to this situation. Sorry, but I think you're always going to be up against people who, on balance, would rather not bother with you. Persistence in the face of that attitude is the only way. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by sramn View Post
    Thanks Sun777 for your responses.
    1. I understand the employers' side of issues in recruting overseas candidates. Basically, I'm seeing if a job offer would help me fast track my application. But the million dollar question is how do I convince the employer that I'm indeed a very serious migrant.
    2. How do we know if the employer is interested in overseas candidates or not? I have seen job adverts clearly mentioning that only candidates having the right to work in NZ / residents will be considered. Is it safe to assume that the job advers where the above citation is not made are open to look into overseas candidates as well?
    Do you qualify for PR w/out a job offer? That is what we did and then applied for jobs but my job was on long/short term skills list so that made it easier.

OH took over a year to get a job but finally just got a really good offer/great salary etc and that was applying from overseas. He called them/they called him and finally did a video interview. Had to be creative with time differences as we are on east coast, all references on west coast and then NZ time.
    So it can be done but took a lot of perserverence.
    The reccie trip in March also gave him some good contacts.

Good luck..
    Last edited by Hagabel; 7th July 2011 at 02:12 AM.

Hi Hagebal,

Yes, I do qualify for PR without job offer (130 points). Once ITA is submitted, the published timelines to make a decision (NZIS, New Delhi, India) is 9-12 months for CO assignment and further 9-12 months for decision. I want to see if this 18-24 months window can be cut short if I show a job offer when my ITA is in dormant state with NZIS.

Quote Originally Posted by sramn View Post
    I'd agree with JandM, you may wish to put yourself into employers shoes and see what would be more easy & effortless....to recruit someone around or wait for the role to fill up after someone finishes immigration hurdle.

At times it takes about 2 months or more to fill up senior roles and companies do sponsor for visa/provide documentation etc.

Some of the agencies/employers mentions specifically in job adverts that "Overseas candidates can apply" (or something on those lines), otherwise rule of thumb is just keep applying and all you'd need is just that 'one' hit!

1 Personally, I found the Working Holiday Visa allowed me to leap many of these hurdles by entering the country with rights to work right away. However I was young enough to to do so. SMC takes a bit too, so it may be better to find employers that will do a working visa in the immediate(free?) and then step up to the SMC.

2 I never cold-called employers, and have never heard of people doing so.

3 I mentioned visa status in my cover letter, not CV. CV is my skills set, not my story. However your status sounds tenuous to employer, i.e. I'm hoping to get a visa if you give me a job....

4. As I said I wouldn't cold call. I wouldn't risk phone quality myself, but that's just me. Doesnt' seem worth risk for a few bucks. Your call.

5. I never provided references, but simply state they were available. I still do the same. I want to be the stop-gate between prospective employers and referals. Plus it provides me a chance to catch up with my references, relationship building.

Another hint, format your resume in no newer than office/word 2003. Most offices here are still on older systems here. PDF is another option, though I have had a recruiter friend tell me he had one firm not accept this.

Finally. Seek.co.nz At least in my field it's the number 1 site.