Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 moans

For those of you annoyed by Chuggers:

http://www.grist.org/list/2011-07-06...e-piece-of-pap

It makes me uncomfortable but I'm not really sure what other options they have. I'm assuming most people are like me and pretty immune to adverts and mail outs.

I gave one year to the Westpac Rescue Helicopter and they now contact me every year either by phone or in person to ask me to give again. It's annoying but I see why they do it.....as TBH although there are lots of people who are organised and give to a designated charity there are also plenty of people who do only think to give when prompted.

We've found on a school level, that just putting the concept out there that you are collecting for a charity isn't enough you have to actually be by the school gates in person. Not because you are trying to bully people but because it just gets forgotten or pushed down on people's priority list unless you are actually there being proactive about collecting and making it *very easy* for them to donate.

I think in an ideal world it should be OK to ask for help on behalf of a charity and it should be OK to say No to them.

I do think they shouldn't approach the elderly for regular donations though.

Although having just read back I do seem to be the only person on this thread that thinks that way! Ha ha!

Hold on, I do agree with the ticket thing though...so I'm not all bad.

I don't have a problem with them as long as they are polite. I'm not keen on the aggressive ones though.

But I do work for a charity!

Quote Originally Posted by Tia Maria View Post
    Although having just read back I do seem to be the only person on this thread that thinks that way! Ha ha!
    Last edited by Kea; 8th July 2011 at 11:53 AM.

It's the look they give when you refuse. I shouldn't have to stand there and explain what our take home pay is and which charities we already have dds to to get them to not give me the look. Also, they're paid to do it, not doing it out of a social conscience and I *bet* many of them don't contribute to the charity they're working for.

I had a few that would 'pester' and not accept a polite no, and then the 'zany one' that thought it would be funny to shout after me that I wouldn't look so miserable if I did something good for a change. This was the straw that pushed me over the edge and I pointed out in pretty clear language to him that it was none of his business what I donated, if he really wanted to know then I had donated over UKP250 to charity that week and that was a typical monthly amount, no, in the grand scheme of things I didn't give a toss about WWF as I thought there were much more pressing issues, and he could get off the moral high horse as he wasn't giving his time for free unlike the time I used to spend collecting for charity when I was a student. He tended to avoid me after that. What really used to get me was that these muppets would be stood there every day and just have a different t-shirt on, so on Monday then you would be asked to donate to Greenpeace, Tuesday Helpp the Elderly, Wednesday WWF, Thursday people with some disease or another and Friday Amnesty. And this really was every single day. 6-7 times a day simply walking fro teh office to lunch and then to the car on a night. And it was shameless the way they went about it. Blond surf dudes that would go up to the girls, 20 something girls in short shorts / skirts to the blokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanga View Post
    It's the look they give when you refuse. I shouldn't have to stand there and explain what our take home pay is and which charities we already have dds to to get them to not give me the look. Also, they're paid to do it, not doing it out of a social conscience and I *bet* many of them don't contribute to the charity they're working for.
    Most charities get a rating which takes into account how much they spend on admin and fundraising.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...search.results

I personally don't contribute to my charity. But I get paid 50% less than I would in the private sector so I see it as an 'in kind' donation.

I think you're just too nice Kanga. Don't feel guilty for thinking about where you donate your money.

Ah, cross post with Kanga.

Quote Originally Posted by Kea View Post
    I think you're just too nice Kanga. Don't feel guilty for thinking about where you donate your money.
    In truth though, I don't ever donate much and I probably could manage more than we do, so I guess that's why my guilt is triggered.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast