Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 moans

Angry 2 moans

I usually use the 'new threads' button to navigate the forum so am a bit unaware of the different areas and was looking for a moaning section! I've got two moans and they're bothering me more and more.

Moan 1) Not being able to go to the supermarket without meeting either a community group selling sausages or, much worse, charity workers asking "have you got a minute?". I really hate this because there's no way I'm going to donate monthly to every charity camped out at Cambridge Countdown this year and it just means I look like a * every time I want to buy some milk. I've taken to planning my exit from the supermarket carefully waiting for groups I can skulk behind or when the charity workers have cornered someone else. Recently they even traced me to my home knocking on the door at 7:15pm to ask "have you got a minute?". Of course I've got a minute, what I don't have is enough disposable income to make monthly dds to all the charities that deserve it ...

Moan 2) Ticketec. Why do theaters use these racketeers? I've been put off several times by their extortionate ticket collection options, which start at $5+ per transaction, which can mean $10+ if like me you want to seat your kids in A reserve seats and yourself in D because there's no price difference for kids and they'd like to see the musicians but that's two transactions. Pah!

We're (Tauranga) being invided by the 'Would you like tax back?" clipboard brigade. So you can't walk down the street without someone in a white t-shirt asking your income, bank details and mothers maiden name. Now even if I didn't have absurdly simple tax issues meaning that I don't have any chance of needing to claim anything, then I wouln't give that info to a random person on the street anyway.

Agree with the charity collecor at countdown. One store is OK, never seen anyone collecting there, but the other there's only one way in / out and they have taken up a very good strategic position where there's no escape ;-)

At least Chuggers are less common over here. Mind you, the years of torture at the hands of the chuggers were offset by the look on the face of the WWF chugger that asked in a hyper chipper voice if "I liked animals". She wasn't expecting the response "Oh yes. Between two slices of bread, or when covered in gravy works best for me".

im also concerned by the gym freaks who try and hassle our 13 year old daughter to either join the gym or to refer a parent!

I hate anyone dressed in a hi vis vest, usually perched on a corner that I have to walk past, who want a moment of my time. If I am walking anywhere outside of my office on a work day I am usually on my way to an appointment. I was once stopped as I made my way to the courthouse armed only with a pen and a notebook.

Chuggers- not heard that before, haha! It really bothers me- Cambridge is pretty affluent so they are pretty plentiful in these parts and I do find I just feel guilty the whole time and I don't know what else to say other than "not today, thank you" when they ask if I care about animals/children/the planet, which makes me look and feel utterly heartless and morally lacking.

I know how you feel, same here, although I can walk past the sausage sizzles now as I'm over that one after one too many grisly ones.
    I feel the most guilty walking past the life saving ones as I feel I should put in but it's never just a simple donation they are usually selling something that costs a bomb.
    What about the phone calls? We get way too many but I have toughened up to those & say I give online to my chosen charity Thank you

Chuggers = Charity Muggers. UK term I think.
    No phone calls.

Move to Blenheim.......
    There are, of course, people collecting money, but I have never felt pressured, no one ever asked me in the supermarket if I have got a minute, we very rarely get phonecalls and, the house sitting in a back section, seldom someone comes to the door!

The Clipboard Zombies is how they are known back in Boulder - they are legion! We use to pretend to not speak English to duck them; one business there has come up with a great way to be safe:
    [YOUTUBE]7HH_FykPJAw[/YOUTUBE]

Here is the link to the original story in the local paper: http://www.dailycamera.com/boulder-c...ws/ci_18294301 for more details and some pithy comments from all of the gainfully underemployed Boulderites (at the bottom of the article).
    Last edited by dbonnett; 7th July 2011 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Added the link to the newspaper article

I hate the people who want me to try their perfume/moisturiser/potion of choice at malls. They keep trying to persuade me even when I tell them I'm probably allergic and their product will make my skin peel off.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast