Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: converting citizenship by descent into a citizenship grant.

Default converting citizenship by descent into a citizenship grant.

Do we have to wait 5 years and have our son (who has a kiwi father) go through ceremonies and language tests? Seriously?

I wouldn't think so - have you looked at Citizenship by Descent option, if his father is a New Zealander.

Quote Originally Posted by lin View Post
    I wouldn't think so - have you looked at Citizenship by Descent option, if his father is a New Zealander.
    Hiya, thanks for your reply. He already has CbD but now we're here I thought there was an option for him to convert to full citizenship, I just can seem to find out how. Any advice would be appreciated.

On this page, they're offering appointments to go and discuss grants of citizenship. http://www.dia.govt.nz/New-Zealand-citizenship That might be a way forward.

You don't actually convert anything, you simply apply to be granted citizenship once you live in NZ. Same fees forms and procedures as a 'normal' application, but you don't have to wait for 5 years, you can do it straight away. I think the child fee is around $260, or was when I last checked.

Should be no big deal, or at least that is what I was told

Daniela

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    On this page, they're offering appointments to go and discuss grants of citizenship. http://www.dia.govt.nz/New-Zealand-citizenship That might be a way forward.
    Thanks I've found it! We get to fill out a form and pay them some more money, send off his CbD certificate and passport and they should give him the citizenship by grant!

Hi just wondering what the advantages are in this. We have two kids who are Citizens by descent (father) and have kiwi passports - but what will the citisenship by grant give them over what they already have?

Will it mean that in turn their kids can actually be kiwis by descent if born out of NZ? As I know with CbD they cant...

Just interested...

Quote Originally Posted by NAP View Post
    Will it mean that in turn their kids can actually be kiwis by descent if born out of NZ? As I know with CbD they cant...
    Yes, that is the only difference.

Daniela

You are right. Their kids, if born outside of NZ are not NZ citizens.

Hi just wondering what the advantages are in this. We have two kids who are Citizens by descent (father) and have kiwi passports - but what will the citisenship by grant give them over what they already have?

Just interested...

Just interested...
    Yes that's the difference. I recall reading that he has till age 26 or something to apply for the grant, which will mean that any children he has will have the right to apply for CbD if they aren't born in NZ. As they'd be our grandchildren, we just want to ensure that there are no hiccups in the future should he have kids outside NZ and wish to return here with them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast