Forgive me if this question has been asked a million times already, but I'm curious to know more about the weather in particular parts of NZ.

We are considering a move from the midwest US area, where for the most part, summers range 70-90 degrees F/21-32 degrees C and can be humid (where upon stepping outside you feel the weight of the air and immediately begin melting) or dry (where the sun is warm and there may or may not be a breeze).

Winters are bitter, with warmest temps hitting maybe 40F/4C and dropping below 0F/-17C. Along with winter we receive LOTS of snow and generally, winters last a LONG time (4-5 months).

In spring we get rain/storms and the occasional tornado. In autumn it may rain or we may start to see frost overnight.

Given that information...could you shed some light on Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch, please?

I've heard that Auckland is HUMID and RAINY. Wellington is WINDY. Christchurch gets COLD. Been reading that houses get VERY COLD in the winter, is this true across the country? Aside from on the mountains, do you see much snow in NZ?

I really enjoy warm, sunshiney days. If I can spend my day at a pool/beach then humid isn't all bad though I would really prefer NOT to feel like I'm melting for several days in a row. I dislike rain but understand the occasional shower is necessary. Living in a continuously gray, rainy town would be so disheartening, though. The cold & snow are reasons I'm eager for a move...while I can see a drop in temperatures as a nice relief from constant warm weather, I'd prefer not to wear a ski jacket around the house.

**I realize I'm rattling on and you'll surely see me as someone who is "hard to please" and in part I am being picky but mostly I just really want to understand the severity of the descriptions (humid, cold, etc) that I'm reading. Thanks so much!