Thread: Packing new goods in container?

Default Packing new goods in container?

Hi there,
    Another question, thank you in advance.

I have just bought a few bottles of vitamins, supplements, advil/tylenol tablets/liquid to put in the container along with couple of new pillows, sheets, duvets etc. How do you make everything look like it is used? Esp the vitamins etc, do you have to open them all?

Thanks as ever!

If anything is new then you declare it on the sheets that you need to fill in for the household goods. We didn't get charged GST on the few new goods that we'd got, but then although new they wre bought a while ago.

If anything is used once then it's used and so you don't need to declare.

Medication you need to declare anyway, and clearly by definition no tablet is going to be used when you bring it (or if it is then you've a hold load of issues that need addressing before we get to customs issues ;-) )

I've been thinking---- ohoh!
    Is there a list of things I should seriously think of purchasing before I come over because they're either super expensive or hard to find? I just bought 2 pair of running shoes...but what else. Has anyone created a list especially for those coming from US/CA -> over?

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    If anything is used once then it's used and so you don't need to declare.
    Isn't there a time line/period stated somewhere in the provisions? Purchase date prior to import to be more than half a year or whole year?

I took the risk of bringing new items, a full bedroom suite, loads of toiletries, bedding, shoes etc. They all got in ok but I would have paid duty if I really had to. I think they have far bigger fish to fry than me saving a few bucks!!

I suppose how much you have but tbh I wouldn't bother just put it in your packing & forget about it, it doesn't get listed separately, unless you have sup efficient packers so I wouldn't worry unless you have a stack of supplies which could be questionable, I didn't declare any medication I shipped in but that was just a few tubes of eczema cream & the remnants of our medicine cabinet

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    Isn't there a time line/period stated somewhere in the provisions? Purchase date prior to import to be more than half a year or whole year?
    12 months for a car, all other goods then it's 'used'.

My bike bits were bought 3-4 years previous so perhaps htey use the 12 month for those too. But furniture, etc then it is just 'used'.

Quote Originally Posted by Georgebulldog View Post
    I suppose how much you have but tbh I wouldn't bother just put it in your packing & forget about it, it doesn't get listed separately, unless you have sup efficient packers so I wouldn't worry unless you have a stack of supplies which could be questionable, I didn't declare any medication I shipped in but that was just a few tubes of eczema cream & the remnants of our medicine cabinet

I think I will just pack and 'forget'. It is a total of 2 pillows, 1 king sheet set, 2 new duvets for kids and associated sheets, and a few bottle of vitamins, supplements and advil. (total 8 bottles).. oh and 2 pairs of kids shoes.

Personally I'd say you need to have a precise list of the medications / vitamins handy. I got a call from customs about our 'random end of tubes / bottles medicine cabinet and really struggled to explain what was in there as I didn't have a clue. As you say those are all good.

Our container cleared MAF and customs no problems and we had alot of new items including a spa, garden furniture, white goods etc. Just unpacked them and allowed packers to wrap them in their own packaging. Definitely worth it