Thread: Shipping insurance quotes

Default Shipping insurance quotes

We had 4 boxes go missing, 3 of books, one of kitchen 'stuff'. Long process, but discovered our insurance wasn't new for old, so we way over insured. My bad though.

Anyway, had an offer which seems fairon the books, but has 40-60% depreciation on the kitchen stuff. That seems a bit high to me. Any thoughts on if we should go back? Note that we've already had 2 meetings with the loss adjuster to get to the 'new' prices.

Can't help on the depreciation amount sorry but just a thought on going back to your shipper for compensation re the lost boxes. Surely they are responsible as they should have made an inventory of the number of boxes and other packages that left your house, and then tracked that every time your goods moved from trucks to container, etc. IMO they've not done their job properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    We had 4 boxes go missing, 3 of books, one of kitchen 'stuff'. Long process, but discovered our insurance wasn't new for old, so we way over insured. My bad though.

Anyway, had an offer which seems fairon the books, but has 40-60% depreciation on the kitchen stuff. That seems a bit high to me. Any thoughts on if we should go back? Note that we've already had 2 meetings with the loss adjuster to get to the 'new' prices.
    Serious?!

What is the amount or/and in dollars

Do you want the money or the fun?!

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    Do you want the money or the fun?!
    This is Duncan you're asking! I'd donate to the pot if he went the fun route. That thread could keep me entertained for years!!

Quote Originally Posted by whakapapa View Post
    This is Duncan you're asking! I'd donate to the pot if he went the fun route. That thread could keep me entertained for years!!
    My writing/ yep

When we thought it was new for old then it was $7k, but accepting that the books are being replaced with second hand value then they are offering $2k. I'm just checking that this is reasonable.

This is mentally the last tie to the UK, so I'm actually keen to get it sorted.

@norma. True, but this is exactly what's covered by the insurance. Was on the manifest on what they collected, and then signed to show it wasn't delivered. Thankfully it wasn't anything of great sentimental value, although the books are a pain as working out which books are missing is nigh on impossible. (150 out of c1100 assorted fiction).

That's a pain

I would argue that decent kitchen stuff doesn't depreciate much at all - my mum's still using pots and pans they were given for their wedding in 1975, for instance. Even second hand kitchen stuff can go for a high price, depending on its condition. But that's just me..

Regards books, guh. Regardless of pay out, what are the chances you'll ever locate them on within the $2k? Will you even be trying, for most of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    When we thought it was new for old then it was $7k, but accepting that the books are being replaced with second hand value then they are offering $2k. I'm just checking that this is reasonable.

This is mentally the last tie to the UK, so I'm actually keen to get it sorted.

@norma. True, but this is exactly what's covered by the insurance. Was on the manifest on what they collected, and then signed to show it wasn't delivered. Thankfully it wasn't anything of great sentimental value, although the books are a pain as working out which books are missing is nigh on impossible. (150 out of c1100 assorted fiction).
    New books here are generally rather expensive; second hand ones depend - if available.

I think the depriciation is doubtful re books as they are fiction. Re kitchen stuff it depends on the actual items.

Books we'd assumed to be $40 per book on new for old, but at second hand then we've agreed at $12 which is ok. It's the kitchen stuff that's debatable and I'm wondering if I should go back or if it's not worth it. Tending towards the latter as its possibly $2-300 we'd be arguing over.