Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes to the Skilled Migrant Category from 25 July 2011

Default Changes to the Skilled Migrant Category from 25 July 2011

Hi all,

Don't know whether these changes are applicable only for the applicants lodging an EOI on or after 25th July...

Also don't know what will happen to the existing applicants who got a processing application in the pipe line.. fingers crossed!

here's the link : http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...hangesnews.htm

After all I'm not at all clear why NZ is trying to restrict migration, while its been automatically controlled due to devastating natural hazards happened recently!

Not sure how this will affect those already in the process but I did read that they were making these changes to encourage higher degree holders and to discourage people from applying to study in New Zealand as an excuse to go there. I think it was also mentioned that people in New Zealand supposedly to study were taking jobs which meant less jobs for Kiwis or to that effect.

EDIT: As per the immigration New Zealand website:

Transitional provisions

If you have already submitted an Expression of Interest (EOI) and are in the Pool, or you have been invited to submit a SMC residence application, the qualification points changes will not affect you.

If you submit your EOI after 25 July 2011 and claim points for a recognised qualification completed in New Zealand, and the qualification was completed before 25 July 2011 or you commenced studying towards your qualification by 24 July 2011, then you will be eligible for the following points:
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...smcchanges.htm

Hi lilKiwi

This should clear your doubts

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...smcchanges.htm
    If link doesn't open please read the " frequently Asked Questions"

Cheers for now
    rashvk

Do you have any idea of this particular change :
    "Applicants with qualifications in an area of absolute skill shortage will no longer be able to automatically obtain residence without skilled employment."

Level 7 is bachelors degree and up. Is anyone on this forum with a bachelor’s degree? I don't see this as much of an obstacle. However having to have skilled employment before getting the PR is a tad worrisome.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottNZ View Post
    However having to have skilled employment before getting the PR is a tad worrisome.
    Why? It proves that you are really wanted by a particular employer.
    The regulation re which jobs, education etc. is generally a little theoretical, so the request for practical relevance seems to be fine.

Omg!!!!!!!!.....

Sounds like--
    1) They're narrowing the accceptance levels by giving less points to those in lower levels of qualification accreditation/equivalencies, and
    2) Ensure people have "skilled jobs" in place before they come over.

My reading is that often people come over to NZ without a real job opportunity, and invested alot of money to do so. Then they're there and kinda stuck. Not a great situation!

Luckily it won't impact my application but those "on the border" of acceptable points. But it will put more emphasis on emigrants to find "skilled employment" up front. May require more reccie trips to do so and more time on that side.
    Last edited by Char; 9th July 2011 at 12:47 PM.

Most of the changes I understand, but am I being dim, or does the "•Applicants with qualifications in an area of absolute skill shortage will no longer be able to automatically obtain residence without skilled employment. " now mean that where in the past, the principal now HAS to work. In the past, for example, a nurse could apply as principal, her hubby would get equal conditions, and then when here there was no need for the principal to work. Ie in the land of the stereotype she could stay at home looking after the kids. But now are they looking for some evidence of a job before issuing permanent PR or the indefinite version of the PR whatever it's called now.

Not that I object to this policy, indeed its always seemed a little odd that it wasn't this way, but that's a huge change 'hidden' in a much more technical update.

Quote Originally Posted by yohanken View Post
    "Applicants with qualifications in an area of absolute skill shortage will no longer be able to automatically obtain residence without skilled employment."
    Dear friends please clear me !
    I have a BSc (Hons) in IT and 6+ years work experience. No job offer. Can I apply PR via SMC after july 25 [submit EOI after july 25] ? At the end of the process would I get PR or WTR or rejected ??

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast