Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long do you need to keep a car after importing to NZ?

Default How long do you need to keep a car after importing to NZ?

Quick query to see if anyone knows off the top of their heads....

We imported a VW Touran just under a year ago...but due to the....ahem....changeable road conditions around here are thinking that a 4WD might be a better option. The problem is that we imported the car from the UK just under a year ago, and I have a sneaking suspicion that we might be stuck with it for at least another year if not longer.

Will go and check the websites and not be lazy but if anyone knows thank you in advance.

(Yep, I should have paperwork somewhere but everything has now been thrown around on a number of occasions and the filing is a bit awry!!!!!)

Current regulation is this...

Additional requirements attached to immigrants' vehicles
    An immigrant's vehicle cannot be sold or leased within one year of its registration in New Zealand. An immigrant's vehicle cannot be used for hire or reward or in a transport service.
    Immigrants vehicles

Ian

Thanks Ian, though

http://www.customs.govt.nz/inprivate...s/default.aspx

Appears to say though that I will have to pay duty on it if I sell it within two years...

Oh well, will just have to hope that the roads start to improve and the earth ceases to move...as i don't want to lose what I could put to another car by paying duty!

Quote Originally Posted by Mamee & Co View Post
    Thanks Ian, though

http://www.customs.govt.nz/inprivate...s/default.aspx

Appears to say though that I will have to pay duty on it if I sell it within two years...

Oh well, will just have to hope that the roads start to improve and the earth ceases to move...as i don't want to lose what I could put to another car by paying duty!
    If you are looking to sell between 1 year and 2 years then you want to check out the charges that you would have to pay customs.

For example it says that you would have to pay the duty, but the duty for motor cars is free, so is there actually anything to pay?

Ian

I don't know about duty, but the only Touran on Trademe (in Canterbury) is worth more than we paid for our Forester

Hubby said maybe we should swap cars if yours in a diesel and has a towbar but I do love my Subaru...

aha, I has done some more searching... see below
    Last edited by sophiedb; 10th July 2011 at 11:22 PM.

Valuation of privately imported motor vehicles

If applicable, Customs charges imposed on your imported motor vehicle will be based on its Customs valuation. The Customs value of privately imported new or used motor vehicles is determined in accordance with the provisions of the Second Schedule of the Customs and Excise Act 1996.

Normal valuation
    In normal circumstances, the Customs value is determined as the price paid or payable overseas for the vehicle (this includes registration fees and insurance costs paid to the retailer) by the importer, less:

• any overseas duties or taxes included in the price paid, which have been rebated or refunded before the vehicle arrives in New Zealand (documentary evidence of this must be provided)
    • an allowance for depreciation if the vehicle has been personally owned and used overseas by the importer for not less than 90 days prior to the arrival of the vehicle in New Zealand.

Alternative valuation
    If insufficient or unsatisfactory information has been supplied, we may determine a value employing an alternative method. For example, an alternative method of valuation may be used if:

• The importer has purchased the vehicle overseas at an unrealistically low or token price.
    • The vehicle was acquired by the importer as a gift or prize.
    • The vehicle was constructed overseas by the importer.
    • The value of the vehicle has been altered significantly after the date of purchase, for example when major restoration, modification or improvement has occurred.
    • Use of the depreciation allowance results in an unrealistically high Customs value.

To determine an alternative valuation:
    • the New Zealand market value of the vehicle, as imported, is established
    • a series of deductions are made for such things as overseas freight and insurance, duty (where applicable), goods and services tax (GST) and normal mark-ups, until a nominal value for duty can be determined
    • duty (if applicable) and GST are calculated on the nominal value.

Example of duty calculations on a motor vehicle

Motor car owned and used overseas by the importer for six months but less than nine months.

Description​ Amount​
    a) Value for duty of vehicle – pounds sterling ​ £8,500.00​
    b) Value for duty of vehicle – exchange rate = 0.31​ NZ$27,419.00​
    c) Value for duty after 27.5% depreciation allowed ​ $19,879.00​
    d) Rate of duty – 0%​ $0.00​
    e) Shipping and insurance costs ​ $4,500.00​
    f) GST value (c + d + e)​ $24,379.00​
    g) Goods and Services Tax payable at 15% ​ $3,656.85​

Total Customs charges payable (d + g)​ $3,656.85

It's all mumbo jumbo to me, but hope that's useful... asking Customs direct might be more helpful though

City: Christchurch
    Physical address: The Customhouse, 6 Orchard Road, Christchurch Airport
    Phone number(s): +64 3 358 0600; +64 3 358 0670 (Client Service)
    Fax number(s): +64 3 358 0606; +64 3 358 0604 (Client Service)

Apart from worries about what duties and taxes to pay, you're biggest worry is being able to register the vehicle for use on NZ roads.

Please be 100% sure that your imported VW Touran has never been in a car accident. Upon registration the vehicle goes through a rather instensive examination where they inpect for previous body damage that could affect the structure of the vehicle. In addition to see if the vehicle safety meets compliance. In this modern day of age, virtuall all cars are uni-body construction and thus lack any chassis. So if the inspector does find it's been in a previous accident (they tell by taking some of the interior covers off, ie the doors), then the vehicle will only be fit as a parts vehicle and can not be registered on the road without major costs (ie. engineering, etc.).

Do not assume! As far as NZ customs is concern, there is no law that states you can't import any vehicle (left or right hand drive etc.) into NZ as long as you pay the tax. The problem residents find is that getting the vehicle legal on the road is the biggest headache.

SBQ - the car has been here for a year, as per the first post. It's just that like many of us what worked in the UK isn't right for us in NZ and so they want to sell it here to swap it for a 4x4.

Sophie. Great post. Where do I get the 0.31 exchange rate ;-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast