Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Christchurch or Hamilton?

Default Christchurch or Hamilton?

I would be very interested to read your views on these locations please.

It would be great if people living in either place could tell me about:

The weather .. I can look it up .. but it'd be better from 'the horse's mouth'.

Job opportunities .. I'm a nurse .. OH's in management ..

Teenagers .. things to do, places to go ..

Crime ..

.. Anything really .. thanks ..

Jeez, am probably throwing Tauranga into the mix now too.

Any info gratefully received .. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MetalSoul View Post
    I would be very interested to read your views on these locations please.

It would be great if people living in either place could tell me about:

The weather .. I can look it up .. but it'd be better from 'the horse's mouth'.

Job opportunities .. I'm a nurse .. OH's in management ..

Teenagers .. things to do, places to go ..

Crime ..

.. Anything really .. thanks ..
    Hamilton:
    Weather- long humid summers and short wet winters. Autumn is the best season here and is wonderful. Weather significantly better than Blighty but not the best weather in NZ.
    Job ops- not sure what field of nursing you're in but Waikato hospital is one of the (if not the) biggest hospitals in NZ. We also found them good to negotiate with for relocation costs etc http://www.waikatodhb.govt.nz/jobs.aspx
    Teenagers- it could be worse here but it could be better. I think it would be better than Chch (without factoring in the EQ damage/implications because I'm not there) in terms of being close to Auckland and NI's attractions and variety because Chch is pretty isolated, but Chch is bigger. It is probably on a par with Tauranga, though if you live there they can access the ocean and surf life saving etc. Tauranga housing costs are higher than Hams, if that's a consideration.
    Crime- same as anywhere else of comparable size I expect. Here in Cambridge crime rate 'feels' very low, which is very pleasant indeed. Unsurprisingly as Cambridge is pleasantville.

Good luck choosing- it's worth going through the DHBs direct as you're likely to get a better relo deal than through an agent.

Thanks, appreciate that.

I'm a MH nurse so not sure how much work is in the hospitals as most jobs I've seen in NZ tend to be community (which suits me as I'm a CPN here).

We're hoping to get over for a recce soon

Can people shed light on the other locations please?

It would be great to hear from people who live in these locations?

Ta

Hi MetalSoul

I am in Christchurch but my sons are a little younger at 9 than teenage years.

Weather compared to Scotland is brilliant. We are in mid winter and had sunshine and 16C yesterday, though it is often freezing in the morning. It does rain, but never appears to last for more than a couple of days. Windy in the summer with norwester gales, but it does help when the temperature reaches the early 30s...though can feel like a hairdryer.

Job Ops...I am not in health but currently Canterbury area is in a state of flux, but mental health needs are increasing for obvious reasons.

Teenagers..there appears to be plenty of activities on offer. One of the first things the council did was to ensure that there were adequate playing fields for winter sports. Things on offer vary from yachting, surfing, rugby, soccer, hockey, netball, swimming (though facilities currently sadly depleted) to close by mountain sports, various clubs for other interests as well as sport...the library has quite a good list online on the council website.

In the area I live in there is not much evidence of crime, although I have been told that lower down the hill burglaries have been known to happen. I would say though that I feel comfortable walking around and have not felt at all worried.

Hope this helps,

Hi Mamee,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

An obvious question is: quakes...how are things there in the aftermath? I understand there are still quite severe aftershocks. When I lived in Cyprus, we had a couple...the largest being 6.7 with only a few aftershocks. Would you say things are 'picking up' now and starting to...when I say....'get back to normal'...I hope you'll know what I mean?

I can quite understand the increased need for MH services...I would imagine PTSD is prevalent after all everyone has been through

Gah just remembered - will reply tonight, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    Gah just remembered - will reply tonight, sorry.
    Lol, no worries

http://www.waikatodhb.govt.nz/jobs/catid/1583

PM me if you want to know anything more about community mental health in Hamilton. I might know a thing or two.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast