Thread: getting back in after a holiday to Aussie

Default getting back in after a holiday to Aussie

I'm going on holiday to Port Douglas, Queensland, in September. I arrived in NZ with PR on the 5th January 2010. I haven't left the country since I arrived so I have done my 184 days in each of the first two years already.

What do I do about the visa for coming back into the country? Where can I get information about this? My travel agent was able to sort out the visa to get into Australia, but was unable to shed any light on getting back into NZ. Is is something I need to do before I leave? Or is it as simple as 'it gets sorted out when you come back in'?

Quote Originally Posted by Jacqi B View Post
    Or is it as simple as 'it gets sorted out when you come back in'?
    NO - people got stranded overseas for that.

However as you got your residence less than two years ago you should have also received an RRV valid for these two years. So it should allow you to enter NZ until early January 2012; make sure you'll be back before.

i hope your agent didnt charge you as its free for holders of european passports

Yes, I have a RRV stuck in my passport with the PR sticker. check your passport, if you had two blue stickers put in by INZ, chances are the second one is the RRV, but read the wording on it to be sure. If you don't have one in your passport, you need to appy from a RRV before you go on holiday or they probably won't let you back in!

I do have both blue stickers - a Residence Visa and a Returning Resident's Visa. I was concerned because I seemed to remember that it said 'single entry'. However, on checking them I see that the Residence Visa in 'single entry' but the RRV says 'multiple'. It also says 'current for two years from the date of issue of the original residence permit'. So I guess that gets me back in. What do I do when the two years are up?

What do I do when the two years are up?
    Applying for indefinite Permanent Residence - and enjoying it!

I do have both blue stickers - a Residence Visa and a Returning Resident's Visa. I was concerned because I seemed to remember that it said 'single entry'. However, on checking them I see that the Residence Visa in 'single entry' but the RRV says 'multiple'. It also says 'current for two years from the date of issue of the original residence permit'. So I guess that gets me back in. What do I do when the two years are up?
    A lunchtime trip down to the INZ offices (I think they are on Willis St these days) - take the completed app form with and they will do it there and then for you. Another blue sticker taking up a whole page plus about $80 and away you go....

Yes, the Permanent Residence visa is your next step, come January 2012. Here's the official word. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...teps/apply.htm

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

You'll have no problems getting back in the country in September. After your two years is up in January, get your Permanent Residence sorted and away you go