Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NZ cheaper than Oz?

Default NZ cheaper than Oz?

According to this NZ is cheaper than OZ.
    We did not find that at all and found the cost in the supermarkets there cheaper. Any other experiences?

http://nz.finance.yahoo.com/news/NZ-...47785.html?x=0

I cannot judge on Oz. However looking at the basis and criteria used by Mercer I'm not too sure about the results either way
    See http://m.mercer.com/articles/1095320?detail=D: 'Two main factors determine a city’s ranking in Mercer’s Cost of Living survey: the relative strength or weakness of the relevant currency against the US dollar over the prior 12 months; and price movements over the prior 12 months compared to those in New York City as the base.' and furthermore there...

We find that prices in the major supermarket chains are about the same in Sydney and Wellington. However, house prices (both for rental and purchasing) are considerably higher in Sydney.

This was also reported in the NZ Herald (see link below);

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=10737962

The study comapres a whole range of factors including housing, taxation, rates, etc.

Currency fluctuations will play a big part in the overall ranking and which locations are moving up/down the pecking order.

I suppose at the end of the day it all boils down to choices in the kind of lifestyle you want to lead.

If you're not in Sydney or in the outback, Australia is cheaper. We lived 2 hours north of Sydney for 6 months and have had holidays there every year since emigrating- I always go wild in the aisles. It's not just cheaper either- the variety is far greater too.

Comparing rental costs and grocery baskets is a bit meaningless unless you know what the income difference are though- the tax perks for families in Oz are better as well as wages being higher for many occupations. NZ loses its nurses by the bucket load, especially the newly graduated, because the pay difference is crazy.

Sad but true.

What about housing costs and the other basic neccessities of life factored into the equation though?

I think it's also important to compare NZ and Oz with the rest of the world as well. The financial situation in Europe, with all its indebtedness and the Euro straight jacket, is leading to living in some countries becoming unaffordable. The problem is compounded by reducing effective salary levels (it's a buyers market out there in many respects) and stagflation in an increasing number of countries.

It would be interesting to analyse how NZ and Oz are faring in comparison to these economic demographics and what the future is likely to hold in the short, medium and long term.
    Last edited by skywatcher; 13th July 2011 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by skywatcher View Post
    It would be interesting to analyse how NZ and Oz are faring in comparison to these economic demographics and what the future is likely to hold in the short, medium and long term.
    In other words, it will be nice to have a crystal ball

Unhappy

I have a crystal ball for people who will retire in Australia. The pension is income tested and asset tested down to a level of zero. There are many pensioners in Australia Who are having a real struggle.

Gran

Quote Originally Posted by Gran View Post
    I have a crystal ball for people who will retire in Australia. The pension is income tested and asset tested down to a level of zero. There are many pensioners in Australia Who are having a real struggle.

Gran
    ....assuming that they are Australian citizens, they could, off course, retire to NZ.....

It appears that Australian pensions are portable to NZ, and must be applied for if a person wants to retire to NZ, I think this applies to NZ citizens who go to Aussie to work as well.

http://www.workandincome.govt.nz/man...stralia-07.htm

Gran

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast