Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NZ food prices rise for third month on dearer fruit and veg

Default NZ food prices rise for third month on dearer fruit and veg

13 Jul 2011
    New Zealand food prices continued to track upward in June for a third month with fruit and vegetable prices again leading the index higher.
    The food price index rose 1.4% in the month, according to Statistics New Zealand, and followed from a 0.5% increase in May. All four of the five subcategories saw price increases in June, led by fruits and vegetable costs, which rose 12.2% with this year’s flooding in Queensland exacerbating typical end of season price hikes.

see NZ food prices rise for third month on dearer fruit and veg

It seems that article is based on (copied from) this NZ Statistics publication: http://www.stats.govt.nz/browse_for_...x_MRJun11.aspx

Hmmm, they do look quite similar. He does say that "according to Statistics New Zealand2 so Im guessing thats where he got most of his info from.
    Well spoted Ralf-nz

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwijo View Post
    Hmmm, they do look quite similar. He does say that "according to Statistics New Zealand2 so Im guessing thats where he got most of his info from.
    Well spoted Ralf-nz
    I'm visiting NZ Statistics web site regularly as they have quite a lot of useful information on very different topics.

Thanks for the tip Ralf-nz. My sister who works for the NZ government also recommended the site to me in regards to wages, cost of living etc. Have now added it to my favourites.
    :O)
    Last edited by Kiwijo; 14th July 2011 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Spelling!

For those back in the UK, then http://www.statistics.gov.uk/hub/index.html is also ull of intersting / useful / bizarre stats.

I keep very detailed financial records and have done so since we arrived nearly 2 years ago. Our grocery purchases do not vary much and we typically buy whole, fresh, food over processed food.

That said, I am not seeing these increases in our grocery bills. I compared a grocery receipt from December 2009 and one from last week that had many of the same items. The prices were really only about 5% different at most on some items and many were the same. Our fresh veg and fruit bills have stayed the same when comparing similar items during the same season.

Maybe we are just smart shoppers

TJH we are finding the same thing, except if we buy 'treats' - which now includes tomatoes (we have resorted to tinned Romas!).

Quote Originally Posted by TJH View Post
    I keep very detailed financial records and have done so since we arrived nearly 2 years ago. Our grocery purchases do not vary much and we typically buy whole, fresh, food over processed food.

That said, I am not seeing these increases in our grocery bills. I compared a grocery receipt from December 2009 and one from last week that had many of the same items. The prices were really only about 5% different at most on some items and many were the same. Our fresh veg and fruit bills have stayed the same when comparing similar items during the same season.

Maybe we are just smart shoppers
    Haven't read the release but I always expect fruit and veg prices to increase this time of year (even if you still only buy in season). I would expect it to decrease soon!

Quote Originally Posted by James 1077 View Post
    Haven't read the release but I always expect fruit and veg prices to increase this time of year (even if you still only buy in season). I would expect it to decrease soon!
    Well, quite. As I heard some one say recently, if you are looking at teh price of tomatoes, lettuce and capsicum, of course they are going to be dearer in the middle of winter. Parsnips and pumpkins, however, are cheap right now.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast