Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning

Default Cleaning

Hi!

This might sound totally silly but how do we clean our furniture? Is there a certain product we are supposed to use or way they want it cleaned? What about our bikes? Do we have to disinfect the tires? All of our furniture is handmedowns but the cost of shipping it is less than the cost of starting from scratch. However, if we were suddenly stuck with all kinds of cleaning costs, it wouldn't really be worth it. Anybody had problems with this?

Thanks, Sarah

We never bothered with cleaning our normal soft furnishings. All we cleaned was some wicker chairs - we gave them a good wash in normal washing liquid. As for our garden equipment and bikes - we cleaned all the bikes with washing up liquid then went over them with Jeyes disinfectant - especially the tyres. The garden tools - eg. spades etc... we washed with Jeyes and then painted. MAF checked our chairs and I think they inspected our garden equipment but we had no porbolems.

The really important thing is to check that there are no visible signs of any kind of life. For outdoor things, the obvious signs would be mud, which things could be living in or seeds could be stuck in, or mould/algae, live in themselves and/or harbouring bacteria, hence the need to wash and disinfect. For indoor things, vacuum well and don't forget the underneaths of furniture, so you get rid of cobwebs and any sort of creepy crawlies and eggs. And wipe off the vacuum cleaner and make sure it smells of Jeyes, too!

Sarah, Jeyes is an English disinfectant - pretty powerful stuff with a strong smell. Pine-sol might be the closest in the U.S. but I think the main concern is that everything is clean - no matter what you use.

Quote Originally Posted by Dell View Post
    Sarah, Jeyes is an English disinfectant - pretty powerful stuff with a strong smell. Pine-sol might be the closest in the U.S. but I think the main concern is that everything is clean - no matter what you use.
    Thanks for the interpretation!

And thanks to all, it sounds like I just need to clean it well but don't need to stress out. Phew.

We are hoping to immigrate some time around January and are just starting to think about all the above issues of sorting, cleaning, dumping etc.

Can anyone tell us how to go about cleaning various tools for MAFF please? We have a vast number of tools such as car tools which are dirty and greasy, and lots of "clean" tools such as pliers, hammers, saws, files etc. We are concerned that if we clean them with water / steam / Jayes Fluid they will then rust and ruin the more delicate ones. Could we get away with wiping them with WD40 or light oil and wrapping them up in a clean rag? I am particularly worried about my jewellery tools, as some of them would be ruined if they went rusty and got pit marks on them.

If we cleaned our tools now and packed them away, would we have to give them another light clean nearer the time? It's bad enough having to clean the house from top to bottom before we go. We know that garden tools have to be more thoroughly cleaned for obvious reasons, but not so sure about house tools etc.

Be glad of any advice.

As I said above, the point about cleaning is not for the sake of cleanliness in itself - it's a biosecurity issue, and all signs of anything which might support life have to be removed. There's no compulsion to use Jeyes fluid, or any other disinfectant, on every article, but the advantage of using it on some objects is that the general whiff of it inside a container instantly reassures any MAF person checking up that the owner has taken some trouble.

As far as your tools are concerned, you need to remove in an appropriate way any grime that might look as if it comes from the outdoors (e.g. soil) or be of live origin (e.g. plant debris, seeds, cobwebs, insect eggs). I would get rid of black grease, as things could stick to it. But having done that, to wipe over the tools with light oil for storage and travel shouldn't cause any problems. (And if there's a little corner of one of your clean wrappings that smells very hygienic because it once happened to dip into some disinfectant... )

Thanks J&M it's obvious when the mist of panic clears a little I guess. The tip About the black grease and the "cean wrappings" will be put to good use. There is is just one last niggle, power saws and the wood dust that gets inside, or am I getting too paronoid now?

No, I don't think you're getting too paranoid. The wood that has been sawn is an organic substance, and not all of it will have been treated. MAF can make an issue of untreated wood when it shows up as furniture (think, fungal spores, borer insects), so if you can avoid showing them any traces that might be it, so much the better.

MAF = Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast