Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rubbish?

ZombieDraxx Guest

Default Rubbish?

Just moved into my Waikanae Beach rental. What do I do with my rubbish? I'm very confused as the kapiti govt site seems to imply I can just put my rubbish out on the kerbside Monday's but I don't have a wheelie bin.

Then there seems to be another service that gives me a wheelie bin but is $140 for 6 month service which seems excessive. Help?

With you on this one. Varies from place to place, but where I am then the rubish day is Wednesday and there's a choice of how to get it collected. I can buy bin bags from the supermarket that are 'prepaid' for the council. Or I can get stickers to put on normal bin bags. Or, I can contract to one of several private companies that come and collect wheelie bins (that are supplied as part of the contract). For me then I pay $200 per 6 months for a general rubbish bin collected weekly, a recycling every 2 weeks and compost weekly.

ZombieDraxx Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    With you on this one. Varies from place to place, but where I am then the rubish day is Wednesday and there's a choice of how to get it collected. I can buy bin bags from the supermarket that are 'prepaid' for the council. Or I can get stickers to put on normal bin bags. Or, I can contract to one of several private companies that come and collect wheelie bins (that are supplied as part of the contract). For me then I pay $200 per 6 months for a general rubbish bin collected weekly, a recycling every 2 weeks and compost weekly.

Ah thanks much, sheds some light on the council rubbish collection. Is there a limit on how many bags of council rubbish bags you can put out? We've only just moved in and have quite a bit of rubbish as we just bought a bunch of housewares.

How much do the council bags usually cost?

Sorry, we're on the contract option so I don't know the cost of the bags. When we moved in I just kept some of the non organic stuff in the garage until the next week.

I also did a couple of trips to the recycling centre with cardboard (free).

Here is no limit on the number of official DCC rubbish bags you can put on the kerb. The prices differ whether you buy just one bag or a number and also for the different sizes.

It might be different in your area but in Warkworth (north of AKL) I buy rubbish bags at New World for about $2.50 per bag. Only one size available there - smaller than the big large black bags you can buy in the U.S. but they still hold quite a lot. It's a logical system because you only pay when you're producing rubbish. I have rubbish pickup at my Arizona house - which I'm paying for even though I'm gone for six weeks.

Here in Rotorua the council delivers 12 bags every quarter and you have to pay for extra. We seem to be stockpiling as we only put one bag out a month. We can recycle most things and we have a compost for fruit,veg, coffee etc. Then there's the cat as a vacuum!

Here in Franklin we buy stickers for $2 to put on black bags. If you put your sticker on I guess they'll collect as many bags as you put out. We are frugal with bin bags though, one every 3 weeks . We take all our plastics, glass and tins to the free recycling centre. We live rural, but those in town have a different system of wheelie bins.

Quote Originally Posted by Ally Bally Bee View Post
    Then there's the cat as a vacuum!

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

In Welly we can pay for bags (about $2.20-$2.50 per bag if I remember correctly) to place kerbside or you can go to the tip/dump whenever you want and take a car load for $6. As we don't live too far from the tip, we often just save up rubbish and take it in a car load. Either that or we piggy back on our landlord when he takes a trailer load

Recycling gets picked up weekly but on a fortnightly rotation (glass one week, other recycling the next).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast