Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is it doable?

About the dams- there are, as far as I am aware, huge questions around those..., not sure if that is the right solution.
    And, the other thing- we are building dams oln the South Island, partly destroying wetlands and other nature, to send electricity up to Auckland (and the NorthIsland in general). Doesn't sound to right to me.......

Quote Originally Posted by newarrival View Post
    About the dams- there are, as far as I am aware, huge questions around those..., not sure if that is the right solution.
    And, the other thing- we are building dams oln the South Island, partly destroying wetlands and other nature, to send electricity up to Auckland (and the NorthIsland in general). Doesn't sound to right to me.......
    I support that electricity should be gained locally!

In the case of AKL that seems to be rather difficult. So to support them I prefer us having dams over nuclear plants. Alternatively the government might consider restrictions about electricity consumption for people shifting there. But that wouldn't be very popular as we currently see in CHC.

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    I support that electricity should be gained locally!
    An article of today ( http://www.odt.co.nz/regions/central...-station-opens ):'Smaller-scale hydro-generation schemes were "the face of the future"... Two families ...developed the Talla Burn scheme' which 'generates enough power for more than 1000 households between Raes Junction and Clyde'.

'Smaller-scale hydro-generation schemes were "the face of the future"...
    For so many that are against privitisation, without the privatisation of the electrical grid in NZ (decades ago), you would not see projects like this happening (well at least happen easily). For the next 20 years, the Canadian gov't has accepted privatisation will be a fact and part of the solution for sustainable energy as more and more private ventures dig deep into their pockets. As power prices rise, payback times drop and unlike diesel or natural gas power generation, hydro dams last a very long time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123