Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So Dunedin it is then!!!!

Default So Dunedin it is then!!!!

Looks like we will be shifting to Dunners in the next few weeks as my husband has work down that way.
    Any info to help us settle in would be gratefully received, ie good pubs, cafes etc, also your views on nice suburbs (schools unimportant, sun very important) in fact any info will be good.
    Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    Looks like we will be shifting to Dunners in the next few weeks as my husband has work down that way.
    Any info to help us settle in would be gratefully received, ie good pubs, cafes etc, also your views on nice suburbs (schools unimportant, sun very important) in fact any info will be good.
    Thanks in advance.
    Excellent choice - welcome in town!!

Interesting list of priorities: First the pubs, then the suburbs

There are several threads within the previous year around which cover these topics here. Most pubs are around Octagon or in walking distance. My favourite is Robert Burns Pub with Live Jazz every Thursday. Generally it is not a whole suburb which is nice or not so but several adjacent streets or parts thereof. Topography plays a very important role here because of the many hills and the distance of the suburbs to the centre as some are further away on Otago Peninsula, on Taieri Plain or even Strath Taieri.

(Already bought the tickets?

No, not for the flight but for the RWC matches here? )

It's a lovely place though I'd avoid Sawyers Bay as a place to live - FiL is there and it seems very wet and cold compared to hubby's other rellies out towards Mosgiel!

Yes - Great choice, I have been in Dunedin for the last few years and live just outside on the Peninsula, Sun all day and "Lord of the Rings" views over the estuary.

Rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    Excellent choice - welcome in town!!

Interesting list of priorities: First the pubs, then the suburbs

There are several threads within the previous year around which cover these topics here. Most pubs are around Octagon or in walking distance. My favourite is Robert Burns Pub with Live Jazz every Thursday. Generally it is not a whole suburb which is nice or not so but several adjacent streets or parts thereof. Topography plays a very important role here because of the many hills and the distance of the suburbs to the centre as some are further away on Otago Peninsula, on Taieri Plain or even Strath Taieri.

(Already bought the tickets?

No, not for the flight but for the RWC matches here? )
    Is the Robert Burns pub the one with the large selection of beers?? sounds good Might see you there jazz night!
    Not got any tickets for the rugby yet but will get a move on, even though i'm not a fan of the game i'm sure its an opportunuity not to be missed and an excuse to check out the new stadium

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy123 View Post
    Yes - Great choice, I have been in Dunedin for the last few years and live just outside on the Peninsula, Sun all day and "Lord of the Rings" views over the estuary.

Rebecca

Cool, I'm liking the look of Andersons Bay any opinion on this area??

Cool, I'm liking the look of Andersons Bay any opinion on this area??
    I am going to repeat myself: Excellent choice!! AndyBay is where we are living.

This is one of the mixed suburbs re topography/microclimate. It very much depends on the stretch of street you are living on.

I am going to repeat myself: Excellent choice!! AndyBay is where we are living.

This is one of the mixed suburbs re topography/microclimate. It very much depends on the stretch of street you are living on.

We are heading down tomorrow for my husband to sort his work, I'm hoping they will pay for a holiday let I have spotted at Brighton for a few weeks while we sort out a renter so might be firing a few questions your way if you dont mind

Is the Robert Burns pub the one with the large selection of beers?? sounds good Might see you there jazz night!
    Not got any tickets for the rugby yet but will get a move on, even though i'm not a fan of the game i'm sure its an opportunuity not to be missed and an excuse to check out the new stadium
    What quantifies for large? I would say they have a good range of tap. There are others in town of which I like more those with Irish/Scottish 'theme'.

No need to go to RWC there will be other events now. Besides provincial rugby Wellington will play Brisbane in a preseason game, Elton John is there or just 150th anniversary of ODT.

What quantifies for large? I would say they have a good range of tap. There are others in town of which I like more those with Irish/Scottish 'theme'.

No need to go to RWC there will be other events now. Besides provincial rugby Wellington will play Brisbane in a preseason game, Elton John is there or just 150th anniversary of ODT.
    I remember going to a pub that had a large selection of bottled and tap but can't remember where or the name.
    If you hear of any nice renters coming up would appreciate if you could drop me a line, keeping my eyes on trade me for something special that allows a well behaved small dog!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast