Thread: Visa options for the self-employed

Default Visa options for the self-employed

Hi,

I'm getting stuck on something and could use any input.

My OH and I are self-employed doing web design, consulting, branding sort of stuff. Most of our clients are in the US, and don't particularly care where we're located since its all online.

We had been looking at the skilled migrant category, but we wouldn't have jobs offered, and honestly, aren't really looking for getting a job there. We looked at the long term business visa, but we'll need to submit a business plan showing how we're of benefit to NZ, as well as have about 300,000 US in the bank as savings. Doable, but is certainly going to push back the time table.

Is there an option that I haven't figured that might be something in the middle? We're in our 40s, which I know limits some options.

Any advice or suggestions gratefully received!

I'm sorry to say that I think you've got it about right. The NZ visas are worked out to get what the NZ government feels they want, and that won't necessarily include what any one person's ideal choices would be. It therefore boils down to what you're willing to say, and how you can best present yourselves to INZ...

Well, step one is figuring out what the rules are, and this helps. Wondering now if something we might be able to do is apply to other marketing firms there, and see what nibbles. Thank you for the speedy response!

If one of you went Skilled Migrant aiming for a job, the other, as partner, would also have Residence and entire choice of what they did, which could of course include running your business. If you gained Residence via Skilled Migrant and satisfied any conditions which might be attached (e.g. taking up a job offer and working in that for x amount of time), from that point on you could choose to change path.

I think that's what we're going to end up doing. I'll need to talk with the OH, but possibly contacting other firms in NZ with what we can do, and seeing if we can secure an offer before we apply. (we've got 115 points without a job offer, and as I understand it with the rules change, that likely won't be enough)

Besides, I need to get the dogs used to the idea of an airline crate, so that gives me a year or so to find an offer