Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wine Recommendations

Default Wine Recommendations

On a positive note (it's been a good day today) - the variety of wine available and price is impressive here. I was delighted that my favourite wine of all time - Brown Brothers Shiraz was only $18 here when I was buying it for £18 in the UK. It is currently $15 in New World and was $11 in Woolies a little while ago. So - any more recommendations from all you more experienced NZ wine drinkers out there (Carol & Kenny?????? ) Church Road was it?

We also tried a Hardys Shiraz that was $7 in P & S and it was so good - we had to go back and get the last 6 bottles in the shop!!!!!

What wines do you recommend NZ or Australian that you can get easily here?

Spookily we had a Browns Bro's Shiraz the other night (first time I'd had it) and it was LOVELY

I am currently quaffing a Riverstone Villa Maria Vintage Selection which is going down very nicely

This years Kennedy point Sav Blanc from Waiheke is very very drinkable.

Yep Church Road is lovely too......any of them!

For a mid-week plonk cant go past Banrock Station - their whole range is really nice.

Jennie has got me hooked on Brown Brothers Shiraz too....ans while I was navigating the Brown Brothers aisle I discovered "Moscato" which is quite sweet but fabulous with fruit!!!

I've found that overall, Marlborough Sauvignon Blancs are tasty. Very different from California's grassy/herby SauBlancs (boring). And Shiraz - yum! Didn't get much tasting done when we were visiting NZ, but buy them here a lot. Just can't remember names right now.

My new fav, only $7 at the dreaded pak n' save, is the McCashin's Reisling from Nelson. Light and crisp and not too over the top sweet. Great with spicy food.

Cat

Oooh my favourite topic! :smile ops: I've done quite a bit of wine sampling (all for research purposes of course! ) since we've been here, and it's all very good!

Some of my NZ faves are Kim Crawford and Villa Maria which are both about $16, but often on offer for $11 or $12, so I stock up then!

Also, Longridge and Whitecliffe Sacred Hill are both VERY drinkable (eh Sarah! ), and go down a treat. (Both sav).

All recommended from my experience! (Although I was v. ill on a few too many bottles of Villa Maria a while ago ops: so have been taking it easy on the Villa for a few weeks! )

Hmmmm, feeling like a glass now actually talking about it - do you think my boss would mind if I cracked open a bottle here at my desk at 9:15am?

Jod

I only drink white but my favourites are:

Main Divide
    Church Road
    Nautilus (Very expensive)
    Drylands

Hope you enjoy a glass or two as well

Having tried several, they all taste great to us !!

In the case of some of the cheapos, we think it is more to do with being in New Zealand than the quality of the wine !!

Pam & Dave

Now you're talking!

Bit of a Sav Blanc girl myself.

Yep Villa Maria & Longridge - Jodie & I have sunk many a bottle of those together ! & if I'm pushing the boat out Mudd House at $20 (but its on offer in Pak n' Save this week for $13.95!)

If you're looking for cheapies - Timara is made by the Montana people & is usually between $7-10 a bottle & Rueben Hall is usually $8-10 a bottle. I quite happily drink these (we used to drink a lot of Oyster Bay & Montana in the UK but Oyster Bay for some reason is more expensive out here than in the UK).

If you're into desert wine then Selaks Ice Wine is lovely (I've downed many a bottle of this with not much help from anyone else!) at $13

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast