Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Big Debate... Where to live?

Default The Big Debate... Where to live?

So my partner and I are debating what area of the country we want to move to. He is a junior structural engineer (will be graduating in December with his Masters, and has a few years of experience under his belt), and will be looking for work specifically in that area. We are pretty open to go anywhere, but obviously there are some things that are more appealing to us than others:

-We are ideally looking for an urban city-centre setting, as we are both young (24) and enjoy city life (we live right in the middle of downtown Vancouver right now and love it!)

-We both enjoy a lot of activities, such as snowboarding (!!), surfing, hiking (!!), camping, yoga (!!), beach-bumming (!!) etc., and it would be nice to have fairly quick access to these

-We do have some hesitations about moving to Christchurch because of the earthquakes, but it hasn't been written off. We realize that this may be somewhere that has better job opportunities for a structural engineer

-It would be ideal to be able to rent an apartment that is fully-furnished (this would be nice, but not necessary)

-I would be looking for some volunteer/employment in the social services field (e.g. crisis line, addictions facilities, counselling settings)

I realize that this list looks huge, but like I said, it isn't a "must-have" list so much as a brainstorming list. We are both very adaptable and open to new opportunities. Any input would be much appreciated!

Hi smr-- I grew up outside of Vancouver so quite familiar with what you're used to. My understanding is that Auckland would be a similar size and has more nightlife, and city-type activities (e.g. concerts, festivals).

There are fully furnished places to rent. I'm just in the midst of securing one now. On Trademe.com you can do some searching. In Auckland, they look to be running at about $350-$450/week (NZ dollars) for right downtown. Not furnished around $300 still for decent locations and buildings.

In terms of geography, the locals could point out what exactly is available in terms of activities. I don't know about skiing on the north island though?

Thanks Char! You've been super helpful. I was hoping to PR you, but I have to make sure I have enough posts first (I think this is my 5th, so after this one maybe we can chat).

I think we are looking for pay ~$400/week. I've heard that Auckland is very similar to Vancouver in terms of lifestyle, and even weather. We just want to make sure that the mountains and beaches are reasonably accessible to us from wherever we are.

Are you securing a place in Auckland from Victoria through Trademe? Are people fairly willing to rent to people overseas?

Yes via TradeMe. I thought I read a few posts saying it was difficult to rent from overseas as well because people want to meet you in person first. But via a property management company it may be a bit different? it seems to be fine. Reminds me I have to finish up the application form and send it in today. Yes, feel free to PM me :-)

You list snowboarding as the first important activity. When it rates that high and you want to do it often AKL is not ideal. Also hiking in that region is a wee bit limited I would say.

There are several (recent) threads on combining skiing and cities that might provide helpful information for you.

BTW what is your definition of urban city? Here in NZ it is (probably) different to Canada. You might consider e.g. Dunedin (one of the 'main centres' here) or Palmerston North, both with a lot of students comparatively but no big cities.

Char, do you have somebody there in NZ who can look at the property for you before you finalize? And/Or is there some get-out for you if you arrive and find that it isn't what you have been led to believe? Another reason that few people rent from overseas is that it can be quite dangerous to trust to publicity material sight unseen.

Always, Auckland is da best

Yes, I'm sending the properties to my recruiter for feedback and he knows the areas well. Both are through a property management company so they should be professional about these things? I could ask as well about their policy. I know sometimes they'll post pictures that aren't the actual suite etc. They both cater to professionals (vs. student market) so less turnover (longer leases) in general. This is my perception! But I do have some people on the ground to check it out and actually willing to go look at them for me... what great people!

Can see if he has time to view them tomorrow perhaps? Thanks for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Char, do you have somebody there in NZ who can look at the property for you before you finalize? And/Or is there some get-out for you if you arrive and find that it isn't what you have been led to believe? Another reason that few people rent from overseas is that it can be quite dangerous to trust to publicity material sight unseen.

You never know with an appartment. Even in a 'nice' place then it jsut takes one person to turn it into a nightmare. One of my colleagues had that with a dealer in the apartment flat, and it happened to me for a short period in January last year where a dealer movied into the flat beneath us and made it a very long week with the odd hours they were up and the constant stream of visitors.

Its an apartment but there are permanent residents there as well and longer term leases so not alot of turnover of people. Mostly professional types. Its a smaller building and newer. I have some people casing it out. Maybe I can send a swatt team out to check it out for me? lol I really appreciate the care being shown here by folks in the forum. Its very heart warming... :-)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast