Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Snow

Talking Snow

Sky

Sky and Griff

Piggies

Wow -we'd take some of that right now! Miserably hot and humid beyond belief here in the Midwest! Bet the dogs LOVE it! ours always do

Default Snow, Nelson Style

Here is what it looked like across Tasman Bay from our deck.

No snow at our house, but a dusting above on the hills at about 200m (we're at 70m)
    Our roads are dry and clear, unlike much of the rest of NZ this morning!

Pics are beautiful. Snow always looks so amazing when you are warm and have food and water. But you can't fool me, I remember very clearly last winter in Ireland, stuck in for 6 weeks, farmer friends bringing food in tractors across the fields, snow falling into the top of my wellies when I went to check on the neighbours...

Although sliding down on it in stuffed coal bags was kind of fun....for the first fortnight!

Hope you are all enjoying it and the novelty lasts longer than the white stuff!

I thought it was just the Uk that came to a standstill because of a little snow ;-)

Yes, lovely pics!

I remember snow in England last December making us wonder if we'd get away to NZ for our last visit. I remember sitting outside Heathrow for two hours, in a marquee erected on the tarmac (having left home 'in good time' because of the weather and had a quick trip anyway), as the terminal was so crowded with people who hadn't left that they wouldn't let anyone else in until three hours before a CONFIRMED flight.

Lovely picture Dave.

Know what you mean Laura , was milking in Herefordshire for the snow of 82 Brrrrrrr twas cold. So nice that al I have to worry about now is two beefies and piggies

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    I thought it was just the Uk that came to a standstill because of a little snow ;-)

Today is the one day (usually it is only one day if at all) when Dunedin nearly closes down.

As it happens so 'seldom' it is just taken into account, that people won't go to work, varsity, school...

The advantage of being in the office on a day like this is that you don't receive too many emails and phone calls but you can really work on your tasks (when you are not participating in forums that is ).

Drove back from Karitane to Christchurch today. Roads were, in Highland scots parlance, passable with care, however it was obvious that most drivers on them did not know how to drive in snow.

I think most countries do come to a halt when there is weather outside the norm. Speaking to Germans it happens there too, and in Norway etc. etc. It is just the degree of extremity that differs. In Highland Scotland there would not have been a snow day in the Dunedin area as the roads would have been gritted and ploughed...just a later start to allow for this to be done.

Christchurch seems to have deeper snow (measured 6 inches on the outside table!!), but again I found cars still expecting you to break when they turned in front of you and pedestrians taking chances...but there is the lack of experience of the conditions and therefore no knowledge of how to behave. However the roads are mainly black now and covered in water....I dread driving more on black ice tomorrow than snow, if we get the minus 2C they are talking about tonight!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast