Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it appropriate?

Default Is it appropriate?

Hello all! Quick thanks to everyone who has answered any previous q's...you've all been so helpful. Am hoping you might be able to help me out here as well...

We're gearing up to get the house put on the market -- feeling a bit nervous considering this whole process feels like we're navigating blindly/via assumptions. I for one would feel better if we at least had some indication that OH will be able to secure a job offer so we can submit EOI, etc...but I feel like applying now (while the house is not even on the market yet) seems a bit too soon.

Would it be appropriate for him to contact potential employers, not necessarily asking for an offer, but sort of asking whether his qualifications/experience would garner him any interest from potential employers when he eventually is ready to formally request that? Or is that silly/inappropriate?

...This would all be so much easier if we could just secure PR without the job offer...but according to the new point checker, we've probably got 115 points without an offer...

Many thanks for any feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by 5forNZ View Post
    Would it be appropriate for him to contact potential employers, not necessarily asking for an offer, but sort of asking whether his qualifications/experience would garner him any interest from potential employers when he eventually is ready to formally request that? Or is that silly/
    I personally don't think that it is the best idea. Others will have a different attitude towards it.

Reverse the roles and ask yourself how many calls like that you would like to receive and spend time on knowing the success rate of interested people from overseas actually coming here.

I would say that the first line of approach are job agencies. And even with them one would generally start just online before having a calling in.

Hmm. As Ralph says then we can only offer personal views / experiences. In my case then I did as you suggested, I contacted a company and explained I was looking at a move in about 1-2 years time, I'd started the EOI process, and wanted to see if the skills I had were needed, and if there were things that I could be working on in the interim to make me more useful.

Well that all snowballed and ended up in a job offer which somewhat accelerated the whole process. WHat would have happened if I'd waited, not sure, perhaps it would have been easier to move in our own time, and of course I could have turned it down.

But I think it will depend on the companies you talk to, the sector, and how you approach the situation. To many then the open and early engagement shows you're serious and whilst there can't be any definite commitment from the company to hire in 18 months time, then they may chose to keep in touch. What seems to be a bigger issue is people applying for a job then not coming, so after 3-4 rounds of interviews (it's the way over here in many cases), then 8 months of the offer 'dangling' the person doesn't turn up. And of course in a small country with a lot of 'networking' that doesn't help your chances of getting a second offer closer to when you do want to move.

Well, when I meant "contacting" I was thinking an email with his CV attached. Something along the lines of what you did, Duncan74:

In my case then I did as you suggested, I contacted a company and explained I was looking at a move in about 1-2 years time, I'd started the EOI process, and wanted to see if the skills I had were needed, and if there were things that I could be working on in the interim to make me more useful.

At this point in time, I simply want to know what the odds are that anyone will want to hire him! I mean, I've looked online and have bookmarked a dozen job listings that he thought looked good, so I know there are opportunities. Which is comforting.

Since the "guarantee" of PR rests in having a job offer, should that somehow be conveyed in such an email? I think it'd be necessary to know whether the visa process is unappealing to which employers, right?

Thanks...

Can't help with that as I was >140 without an offer.

It aslo helped that I'd been here on a recce 18 months before.

I wrote directly to the HR teams of business in my sector. Some replied, some didn't. I also contacted recruitment agencies and actually applied for a couple of roles.

As Duncan says though, having been on a reccy does seem to increase interest, and I did go on another visit with the intention of meeting some of these people which also, I think, confirmed our commitment to moving.

IMO there's no harm in trying to contact firms by email with a prospective CV attached, the response will be varied, but if anyone replies, it may give you useful contacts that can be nurtured and utilised later in the process.

There's also a wealth of information from people in various fields on here - if you gave everyone an idea of the line of work your OH is looking at, then someone might be able to give you some local info, or more specific guidance.

Good luck with whatever you do though.

Thanks everyone.

OH is an arborist. If anyone has any suggestions, we'd sure appreciate them! Like I said, we have bookmarked different companies/opportunities...Treescape and TreeTech coming to mind off the top of my head...I remember there are some city positions and other smaller (?) companies...none of the ones in the list specify needing to live or work in NZ prior to applying.

Unfortunately, a trip over just doesn't seem possible before the big move...which I know is awful but so it goes...

Or what you could do is just send an inquiry letter/email first. Ask if you could arrange a chat with them to discuss your background and get feedback on CV etc. Then if they're open to it, send your CV. Its a way of networking and they might be able to provide other contacts or leads for you.

I am also satisfy with your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by 5forNZ View Post
    Hello all! Quick thanks to everyone who has answered any previous q's...you've all been so helpful. Am hoping you might be able to help me out here as well...

We're gearing up to get the house put on the market -- feeling a bit nervous considering this whole process feels like we're navigating blindly/via assumptions. I for one would feel better if we at least had some indication that OH will be able to secure a job offer so we can submit EOI, etc...but I feel like applying now (while the house is not even on the market yet) seems a bit too soon.

Would it be appropriate for him to contact potential employers, not necessarily asking for an offer, but sort of asking whether his qualifications/experience would garner him any interest from potential employers when he eventually is ready to formally request that? Or is that silly/inappropriate?

...This would all be so much easier if we could just secure PR without the job offer...but according to the new point checker, we've probably got 115 points without an offer...

Many thanks for any feedback.
    Without any kind of job lined up and given the length of time it takes to go through the whole EOI/ITA process then why not go ahead and put in the EOI. In the time it takes to get selected, have your ITA reviewed and assessed, CO interview and blue residency stickers issued you would have plenty of time to sell up and find a job out in NZ, either through agencies or by other means. You can always make the point that you are going through the SMC visa application process which demonstrates commitment on your part. That must carry some weight with prospective employers.

Have you considered a Recce trip too? Many people here have done this and organised interviews with prospective employers, either directly or via agencies, whilst also taking the opportunity to have a look around the country to get a feel for the place, cost of living, housing costs, etc.

In my case I was lucky to already have someone interested in me when I flew out with my wife and young daughter for a 2 week trip earlier this year. This opportunity incidentally originally arose via an Agency. In addition to allowing me to meet up with my prospective employer (and them me) it also gave the 2 ladies in the family an opportunity to see the country and decide if it was somewhere they could live. It also allowed me to meet up with other comapnies out there and make a comparison between them. It was well worth it and galvanised us into making the decision to go for it.

In the event, I decided to go with the offer from the first company who expressed an interest in me but I could have had a choice of 3 or 4 courtesy of the fact that I had made an effort to get out there and meet up with companies and agencies face to face.

Good luck with the process going forward.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast