Thread: Linux

Default Linux

Hi everybody

we finally made it to Auckland and OH found a job as a service desk analyst within 2 weeks. So we are happy about that. However, OH would like to work in a more technical area. He is a system admin with 6 years experience in a corporate environment. He would like to administrate Linux based systems (CompTIA Linux+, preparing for Red Hat) but is also very experienced with Windows (MSCA).
    We got the impression that Linux is not used widely in NZ. But OH still would like to try and find a job in this area. Does anybody know companies that use Linux or are hiring system admins at the moment? Can somebody suggest which Linux certification are valued by employers?
    Thanks...

Hi,

That is correct, Linux is not popular in NZ among most of companies. But world is moving towards opensource that is what i can see the trend. I am sure he will find a good job in NZ.

lots of linux about. Red Hat, Centos, Ubuntu. Problem is the personnel agents usually don't know what they want and have no idea when they read a job spec or a CV.

Once you in the IT industry in NZ, more doors seem to open, as a majority of job placements are done by "word of mouth" in NZ IT.

RHCE is the most popular certificate at Linux world , right now I think it's better to focus more on Linux applications line telephony , security , ..

Look at ISPs as the best employers for linux skills: iconz, maxnet etc.

Also join NZlug and Auckland lug. They do have a monthly curry night. (http://nz.news-admin.org/). This is best way to have a few beer a curry and discuss job opportunities

HTH

Mooncalf

I used linux alot in another life

Yes, Actually you should have multi side expertise like Linux may be used in telephony or web platforms . So you should have blended work in order to find a suitable job in different industries.